The Carleton Ravens defeated the Windsor Lancers 97-58 in the men’s basketball Ontario University Athletics (OUA) semifinals on Feb. 28.

The Ravens came out hot in the first quarter pulling away from the Lancers with a score of 13-6, with Stanley Mayambo hitting a three-pointer and layup. Another layup by Raven Mitch Jackson widened the margin and the Lancers called a timeout only eight minutes into the first quarter.

The Ravens then made three substitutions with OUA first team all-star Yasiin Joseph entering the game. The fresh legs held the Lancers to only four points while putting up seven of their own.

The second quarter echoed the first, with the Ravens dominating the court and putting up 11 points and only allowing one, forcing another Lancers timeout.

Once the Ravens had found themselves comfortably ahead, they put in Marcus Anderson, the OUA defensive player of the year, to help hold the lead.

The Ravens were lethal under the net putting up a total of 24 defensive rebounds and 10 offensive rebounds compared the Lancers’ nine total rebounds in the first half.

The Ravens entered halftime with a massive 49-26 lead.

The third quarter saw an early three-pointer by Joseph kickstart an eight point run for Carleton.

Despite leading by 31 points the Ravens refused to let off on offence. In the third Carleton put up 28 points holding the Lancers to only 10, forcing another timeout.

The fourth started with the Ravens giving their bench some more playing time. The Lancers were able to compete with the strong Carleton team in the fourth putting up 22 points in the quarter, while the Ravens only managed to net 20.

However, there was no doubt which team would take the win, with the Ravens ending the game leading 97-58.

Joseph and Eddie Ekiyor (another OUA first team all-star) both put up double-doubles in rebounds and points.

The Carleton shooters had a field day against the Lancers defence shooting at a 47.9 per cent field goal percentage, compared to Windsor’s 23.8 per cent.

With this win the Ravens move on to the Wilson Cup finals, where they will take on the Ryerson Rams in a rematch of last year’s championship game, which saw Ryerson come out on top.

The Rams have put together an impressive season with a record of 17-6, and going 9-1 in their final 10 games. Ryerson was able to beat out the Brock Badgers—the top ranked team in the OUA West Division—in a close 69-63 win.

Ryerson will be looking to their top scorer Manny Diressa, who is third in the OUA in points per game, to crack the top-ranked Carleton defence in the finals.

The two teams have faced off twice this season with Carleton winning both matchups, the second by a commanding 23 points.

Ryerson will be looking for its third straight Wilson Cup championship, having beat the Ravens in the last two OUA finals.

Meanwhile, the Ravens will be looking to add a tenth Wilson Cup to their trophy case, having last won the cup in 2015.

The final will tip off on March 3 at 7 p.m. at the Ravens Nest.

Photo by Michael Sun