The team moved back to first place after a 3-1 win against the Queen’s University Gaels on Jan. 16. Photo by Shamit Tushakiran

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team re-claimed first place after falling to second in Ontario University Athletics in a 3-2 loss against McGill University Jan. 11

In that game, the Ravens had to come from behind to tie the game twice only to fall to a David Rose marker nine minutes in to the third period.

Carleton’s penalty kill, which had been ranked first in the OUA, failed to hold against the McGill power play giving up two goals on three opportunities.

“I didn’t think we had our legs like we’ve had in the last couple of games,” said Ravens head coach Marty Johnston. “McGill came out and won more battles than we did.”

Having beaten the Redmen 5-2 back on January 4, Carleton was looking to take the lead in the season series against their opponents from Quebec.

McGill was looking to improve their road record, which was a mixed 4-4, and get themselves back in to the hunt for first place in the East.

Carleton started the brighter of the two, with McGill’s starting goalie Hubert Morin forced in to several awkward saves.

But Carleton struggled moving the puck through the neutral zone, with several errant passes from the defence breaking down attacks.

“I don’t know why it happened, but we have to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Johnston said.

Defenceman Charles Carre took a hooking penalty and McGill defenceman Ryan McKiernan capitalized after 20 seconds to take the lead.

Ravens forward Ryan Maclean tied the game up two minutes later to give the Ravens hope.

But it was the same story in the second period with McKiernan grabbing a second goal, again on the powerplay.

While McGill was red-hot on the powerplay, Carleton’s was sadly lacking.

The Ravens failed to register any goals on five opportunities, and struggled getting clean shots off against Morin.

“Ultimately, I don’t think our special teams stepped up,” defenceman Matt Stanisz said. “If we had, we could’ve won the game.”

Carleton’s netminder Ryan Dube looked to have a clear sight of the puck before it took a weird bobble on his blocker.

Forward Mitch Porowski grabbed his 15th goal of the season, tying the game with less than two minutes left in the second frame.

Throwing caution to the wind, Carleton started trying to pressure Morin more in the third period.

For his part, Morin gave up several tantalizing rebounds around his crease but the McGill defence always managed to get their first.

For the third, and final time, McGill grabbed the lead and were able to hold on.

With the loss, and two wins by UQTR over the weekend, Carleton slipped to second in the OUA East.

“We have to put this game behind us, and get back at it for our next game,” Stanisz said.

The team moved back to first place after a 3-1 win against the Queen’s University Gaels on Jan. 16.

Next, the Ravens face the University of Toronto Varsity Blues Jan. 18 at the Ice House.