Third-year public affairs and policy management student Sean Finn was recently ratified as the new chief electoral officer (CEO) for the Carleton University Students’ Association's 2012 election. (Photo by: Yuko Inoue).

Sean Finn’s semester just got a lot busier. The third-year public affairs and policy management student was recently ratified as the new chief electoral officer (CEO) for the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA). Finn will oversee the upcoming elections. Reflecting on past elections, that’s no easy task.

The Charlatan (TC): How did you become this year’s CEO?

Sean Finn (SF): Well, initially there was another CEO to be ratified, MacAndrew Clarke. The council debated it for a long time and MacAndrew wasn’t ratified. Around 4 p.m. on the day of the council they called me in. When they got to the part about ratifying the CEO there was no debate, which kind of shocked me. They ratified me.

TC: Why did that shock you?

SF: Because I saw them debate MacAndrew for so long and ask him so many questions. I don’t know why they didn’t ask me any questions.

TC: Had you mentioned you wanted the position before?

SF: I knew people on CUSA. I worked for the Student Experience Office for the university all summer. So I knew about the elections from working as a poll clerk, I knew about the elections from the university end. I know a lot about elections — just put it that way. It was something I wanted to get involved with, especially as a public policy student.

TC: What are you hoping to get out of this new position?

SF: Well (laughing), it’s another experience. This is my time. It’s more about getting the experience of the whole process and to give back to the students and make sure the elections are run as fairly as possible.

TC: On that point, CUSA has had some issues and scandals in the past around the elections. How are you going to go about making sure they’re fair?

SF: I truly believe that the electoral code is what you follow. There’s no straying from it. There is some precedent from past CEOs that you have to follow, but I think it’s sound judgment. It’s understanding the process and, again, keeping it as fair as possible.

TC: What do you think is going to unfold this election?

SF: I heard through the grapevine that there could be three slates. At this point, I don’t know. Generally, they are supposed to tell the CEO if they are running as a slate. But things could change. I bet they are waiting if the people around them can get the nominations.

TC: Do you think this year’s drama will get carried into the election?

SF: I’m not going to say how it’s going to play out, because I really don’t know. You can read as much as you want, but you don’t necessarily know everything that is going on. It’s all about integrity and going day-by-day.

TC: How then can students make sure candidates are fair and integral?

SF: If anything, go out to the debates. Ask questions. Get involved. Read. The more you read, the more you are going to understand what’s happening. If you have concerns, come to our office. Let us know of any problems and we’ll take it case-by-case.

TC: Do you think CUSA is broken?

SF: No. I don’t. I truly don’t think so.

TC: But a lot of students are angry or apathetic when it comes to CUSA. Do you think people can still get inspired?

SF: Come on, it’s our generation. We’re out to change the future. No, I don’t think it’s broken. There are candidates that are going to bring new ideas. I’m really excited if anything.

TC: What are you the most excited for?

SF: To see the whole campus moving forward and seeing the campus continue to develop this Carleton spirit.

TC: What’s your idea of a productive CUSA?

SF: One that maintains the integrity of the elections. That’s by far the most important. We’re democratic. One that is entirely working for the students with no self-gain involved.

TC: How do you define “maintains the integrity of elections?”

SF: Following this democratic process. Following the electoral code. It’s understanding the environment of an election and ensuring that there are no biases.

TC: On Jan. 30, CUSA decided to go with an online election. What will that mean for your?

SF: First off, it’s at the council’s direction that I’m going to carry it out online; therefore, I’m doing my job and again I’m applying the electoral code to this election. In terms of what it means, it’s just a different way to run it. It hasn’t been run online before so there will be a learning curve for sure . . . I’m confident in myself and my two [returning officers]. We’re a competent team. I’m really confident in this whole election. If it’s online, paper ballot doesn’t really matter to me.

This interview has been edited and condensed.