(Photo illustration by Matt Hegmann)

McMaster University suspended an engineering student group Jan. 20 after discovering a songbook containing explicit material.

The group responsible, known as the Redsuit Student Group, has been barred from participating in any events on campus, according to a press release by the McMaster Engineering Society (MES). Events hosted by the MES, including activities that involve alcohol or relate to Welcome Week have also been suspended pending an investigation.

McMaster vice-president and provost David Wilkinson said in a press release that the material within the songbook was reprehensible and degrading to women.

“The engineering songbook that we have learned about is highly disturbing and is the exact opposite to everything for which the University stands,” Wilkinson said. “We are committed to ensuring that everyone understand that McMaster will not tolerate such views or behavior.”

Wilkinson did not specify exactly what is in the songbook.

The MES said in a release that the songbook was compiled years ago and has never been distributed or endorsed by the society.

Ishwar Puri, the dean of engineering at McMaster, said in a press release the redsuits seem to support the material and should no longer represent the university.

“Sadly, the small number of students within the organization and the redsuits they wear have now become symbols of intolerance and a sexist mindset that has no place at the University or in our society,” he stated.

An independent investigator was hired to examine at how the songbook was used and its connections to the redsuits, according to the university.