March BoG meeting provides updates on new residence, ancillary services

289
Graphic with letters
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

​​Editor’s note: Due to Board of Governors protocols, which forbid all participants from recording any portion of public meetings, direct quotes from meeting participants could not be verified in line with the Charlatan’s accuracy standards to be included in the article.

Carleton’s Board of Governors (BoG) provided an update on the new residence building’s construction, the 2023-2024 ancillary services budget and a campus master plan update during its March 9 meeting

Early in the meeting, a group of Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) 4600 members briefly interrupted the proceedings to present an open letter regarding the union’s collective bargaining with the university. 

The letter called on the BoG to discuss the union’s bargaining priorities with them at the meeting, as well as to direct their bargaining team to engage with CUPE 4600 before the expiration of the no-board period. The union will be in a strike position on March 27.

The group left the meeting after presenting the letter but was thanked for their appearance by vice-chair Beth Creary.

New residence building update

A revised budget for the new residence building in construction on campus was approved by the board. The updated project costs stand at $98 million, with an additional $8 million to be held in contingency if required. 

The new budget, increased from $90 million, comes amid a number of market and construction challenges, such as trade shortages, supply chain issues and labour strikes, Susan Mingie, a building program committee member, said.

Residence fees are expected to generate $3.8 million in the new building’s first year of operation, and the board believes the university residence system will absorb cost increases over time.

The building is expected to begin accepting residence students in fall 2025.

2023-2024 ancillary services budget

The university’s proposed 2023-2024 ancillary budget was also approved.

The accepted fee adjustments include a 5 per cent residence fee increase, a 6 per cent residence dining plan fee increase, a 6.9 per cent athletics fee increase and a ten per cent parking rate increase as the university works with OC Transpo to prioritize public transit on campus.

The board noted that although the COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted many ancillary services such as housing and dining services, demands returned to pre-pandemic levels this academic year.

Highlights for the 2023/24 academic year include Carleton residence budgeting for nearly 99 per cent occupancy amid the exploration of plans to expand the caf in response to increased student demand.

The university is expecting an occupancy rate of 98.5 per cent on residence in 2023-2024. 

The board briefly discussed whether the campus bookstore will remain financially viable as textbook sales decline and the store faces a deficit of $154,000.

New elements of campus master plan

Nathan Flach, a co-lead of the campus planning division, was joined by urban planner Selam Eyob to present a first draft of the new university campus master plan

The plan took an initial consultation into consideration, which garnered feedback from over 1,000 participants.

New aspects of the master plan include the addition of greenery surrounding the entire campus, a pedestrian network and potential building and tunnel enhancements and improvements, such as the addition of more natural light.

A final workup of the master plan will be presented for approval at the April BoG meeting.

University research update

Rafik Goubran, Carleton’s vice-president (research and international) delivered an update on the development of the university’s research portfolio. In the last year, researchers at the university have been awarded a record $97.4 million in funding

Goubran reiterated that the university’s ultimate goals are knowledge creation and mobilization, as well as having an impact on society.

Research priorities for the upcoming year include strengthening international activities, increasing productivity and external funding and expanding community engagement.

The board is set to meet again on April 24.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.