MacOdrum Library has faced COVID-19-related restrictions since March 2020 [image by Isabel Harder].

Carleton’s MacOdrum library reopened its second floor as a study space for current students and faculty members after its prolonged closure due to COVID-19.

The library facilities have been closed since the pandemic began in March, continuing to support students and faculty online and through curbside pickup. With several limitations still in place, such as a capacity limit of 50 visitors including staff, the library reopened Level 2 as a study space on August 24.

Library staff, as well as Campus Safety Services, are working together to ensure the reopening coincides with public health and safety regulations. 

The library is open on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and visitors must use the Level 2 main entrance when entering and exiting the building. Masks are required and visitors must present valid student or staff identification upon entry.

MacOdrum librarian, Amber Lannon, said the library’s Twitter account provides updates about its occupancy. 

Visitors will also be asked to clean their area with cleaning supplies that are available on the floor. 

“[Visitors] are being asked to stay two meters apart and clean the area they’ve used with some cleaning supplies that we have spread around the library,” Lannon said. “They’re also being asked not to move furniture because the furniture is now carefully placed to be six feet apart.”

In addition to these precautions, Lannon said that visitors must self-assess and stay away if they show symptoms of COVID-19.

“If [visitors are] not feeling well or experiencing any symptoms of basically anything, please don’t come into the building for the safety of others,” she added. 

The library is also restricting visitors to use the library space individually rather than in groups. Private cubicles, tables and a limited number of computers and rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

Director of Campus Safety Services, Brian Billings, said his department tried to decrease contact between visitors by minimizing the number of paths visitors can take.

“There are designated entrances and exits from the building,” he said. “There are signs and the intent is, again, following what the provincial regulations are to try and mitigate or eliminate the chance of you crossing paths with an individual.” 

The library website also specifies that the shelves, Starbucks, lost and found and every floor besides level 2 remain closed. 

MacOdrum library also continues to provide service from a distance through curbside pick-up and digitizing resources. However, Chris Trainor, head of archives and special collections, said this can still pose an issue as some resources cannot be scanned, and students want to see library resources in-person.

“They want to be able to touch it,” he said. “Especially for people who are doing medieval manuscript histories or working with specific types of materials—they actually want to physically handle them.” 

Trainor said he hopes that future plans of reopening include physical access to resources, where students can book appointments with the department. 

“They will come into the room, and there’ll be no contact with our staff, but we’ll have the materials ready for them that they’ve requested,” he added.

Featured image by Isabel Harder.