Former Ravens captain Brandon MacLean plays in the ECHL. (File)

Although his season ended earlier than he would have liked, former Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team captain Brandon MacLean capped off his university playing career on a high note.

The skilled forward added another award to his mantel, as his play earned him a second-team all-Canadian nod at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport gala March 21 in Fredericton, N.B.

“I’m very happy for him. I think he deserves that honour,” said Ravens head coach Marty Johnston. “A lot of teams are going to be happy that [MacLean]’s not playing for us next year because he’s a dangerous player.”

Although the Ravens’ season ended in disappointment, it was a career year for the graduating forward. He notched 12 goals, 28 assists and 40 points in 28 games, tying him for fifth in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) scoring race.

His offensive output surely helped him win the award, but according to Johnston, MacLean brought so much more to the team than flashy point totals.

“I think he had a big voice in the dressing room, and some guys are going to have to step up and fill that void,” he said.

The final award brings a fitting end to MacLean’s playing days with the Ravens, and he leaves behind a legacy any player would love to have. In his four years at Carleton, MacLean scored 143 points in 108 games, was named to the OUA all-star team three times and led the team in scoring every season he played. He also leaves the Ravens program as the all-time record-holder in assists. MacLean’s role will be a tough one to replace on the team roster, Johnston said.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to find someone exactly like him,” he said. “I haven’t played with anyone that has the energy level he has and certainly haven’t coached one, either. I’m really proud of the fact that he played for us for four years.”

The hockey world hasn’t seen the last of MacLean, though. Since the Ravens’ elimination from the second round of the OUA playoffs, the former captain signed with the Florida Everblades of the East Coast Hockey League and has already made his presence felt, scoring three goals and four assists in his first 11 games.

“He’s getting a lot of ice time and producing,” Johnston said. “It’s good for [MacLean], good for Florida, and we’re happy about it.”