*Ensure that you are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, NOT SAFARI. Hit refresh if the video doesn’t show up.

Name:  Lorne Powell
Program/year:
Fourth-year business law
Position running for:
Vice president finance
Why are you running for CUSA council?

It’s my belief that because students pay money into CUSA, they’re basically like shareholders of the association. Students deserve to have their money spent on the things they care about, like services, events and campaigns and not have it wasted on the things they don’t.
What do you think makes you a good candidate?

My direct involvement with budgets and finances is what I believe makes me the strongest candidate. Currently, off campus, I work as the Finance Director and Economic Policy Analyst with the Ontario Economic Development Society and on campus I am actively involved in all corners of Sprott life. I’ve served as President of the Sprott Business Communication Club for the past three years so not only do I know how to make sense of money, but I’m also a friendly face you can approach with anything you need.
What are two things you hope to achieve if elected?

1. With the high cost of tuition, textbooks and supplies, I know how tight money can be for students. Finding yourself in university and controlling your own finances can be a scary thing, and that’s why next year I’m committed to hosting free sessions like Budgeting and Credit 101.
2. Another thing my team United for Carleton, wants to do for students next year is look into a creating a student-run housing coop. This would not only help students in need with the cost of rent, but provide housing alternatives for students in need.
What’s one fun fact about yourself?

I think the most “fun fact” about myself has to be…I’m a twin! It’s so fun being a twin.