On Aug. 21, 2013, two future NBA players visited the Ravens’ Nest for a summer exhibition game. 

Frank Kaminsky, a ninth overall selection by the Charlotte Hornets, and Sam Dekker, an 18th overall pick by the Houston Rockets. They belonged to the Wisconsin Badgers, a NCAA Division I team.

Wisconsin would go to the Final Four of March Madness that season. 

But on that summer night, Wisconsin stood no chance against the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team, facing a deficit as large as 22 points in the game and ultimately losing 95-82.

“I felt like we had players that were clearly outplaying them […] and [making] really good players make tough plays,” said Aaron Blakely, a long-time assistant coach who was on the sidelines that game.

That night was just a microcosm of the dominance Carleton has enjoyed over the past two decades.

“By the time the games start, [they’re] pretty easy.”

Taffe Charles, Carleton Ravens head coach

They’ve been in a different stratosphere than the rest of Canada’s university basketball programs. The team has won 17 U Sports national championships in the last 20 years.  

The Charlatan’s vol. 42 issue 27 cover.

Ravens head coach Taffe Charles said the program’s success over the years can be chalked up to discipline, details and toughness. These qualities make their training unique.

“[It’s] the way we practice, the level of intensity we practice with, the understanding within our whole group of players about how important it is to be at practice and to give your all,” Charles said.

He said these aren’t run-of-the-mill practices. They’re designed to prepare players for the worst.

“I think the biggest thing is we can set that environment up to be as heartless and difficult as possible,” he said. “And by the time the games start, [they’re] pretty easy.” 

Dave Smart, the iconic coach who led those practices for 14 of the Ravens’ 17 championship seasons, is now an assistant coach with the NCAA’s Texas Tech Red Raiders

Blakely, who worked under Smart, called him a genius and “objectively” the best basketball coach in the country.

“I just felt like his awareness of the sport, his tactical and technical capacity was very, very advanced,” Blakely said. “He has the ability to build a winning culture and create a culture of togetherness, a culture of players that want to improve on a day-to-day basis, players that want to kind of excel and meet their potential.”

An overlooked factor in the Ravens’ success has been their ability to recruit Canada’s best players. Charles said he believes their program’s ability to put players on a path to a professional career, particularly in Europe, has helped them attract the best talent.

“Some of our guys who’ve done well, especially in Europe, have the attention to detail and discipline, and [Europe wants] ready-made players,” Charles said.

Charles said his team fosters the type of culture that helps players transition seamlessly to the next level in Europe.

Notable players who have graduated from the Ravens program are Osvaldo Jeanty (2002-2007), Tyson Hinz (2009-2014) and Aaron Doornekamp (2004-2009). 

The Ravens sent all three players to professional careers in Europe and have positioned many others for success post-basketball.

Blakely stressed how Smart set up his players for success both on and off the court.

“That was a thing that was really emphasized,” Blakely said. “Taking the right thing seriously. That really stands out to me […] often if you do the right thing as a person, it transitions well into the basketball court.”

If their 17 national championships prove anything, it’s that this is indisputably a program of champions, on and off the court.

Featured image from file.