CKCU FM volunteer and host of Reggae in The Fields, Junior Smith, was awarded the United Way Community Builder Award (CBA) on Sept. 10 for his long-term commitment to the Ottawa community.

Beginning in 1976 as a 30-minute pilot, Smith has grown Reggae in The Fields (RITF) from a small college radio show to a staple within Ottawa’s Jamaican community, according to United Way. Airing from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. every Saturday afternoon, the organization also said RITF has become the longest-running reggae radio program in Canada, celebrating 40 years this past summer. Smith began RITF while he was attending Carleton University as a student during the early days of CKCU, and has been on the airwaves ever since.

The CBA is presented to around 50 individuals a year throughout the Ottawa community. According to the United Way’s website, it is presented to “organizations, partnerships, agencies, [neighbourhood] groups and individuals who work tirelessly, passionately and collaboratively to make Ottawa a better place in which to live, work and raise a family.”

Sarah Onyango, host of Africa Revisited and Black on Black on 89.1 CHUO FM, presented him with the CBA. She said she has crossed paths with Smith for many years in the Ottawa community.

“[Smith] gave Ottawa’s Jamaican community a voice and uses his voice to empower and engage the community,” Onyango said.

She added that in addition to being an influential person in the Jamaican, Caribbean, and African communities, Smith’s community involvement has transcended culture by giving others a look into the community.

“He’s provided a window into our community,” Onyango said. “He’s self-taught and consistent and thanks to Junior Smith, Ottawa has become a reggae destination.”

Throughout his four decades on the air, Onyango said Smith has inspired and influenced many people, including Papa Richie, host of Rockers on 89.1 CHUO, and has had a major hand in establishing Ottawa’s reggae scene.

“Junior cares about the listener experience. After he started RITF and popularized reggae in Ottawa, a scene emerged,” Onyango said.

Onyango brought Smith’s family into the studio to join her in presenting him with the CBA. She listed the many accomplishments he has achieved throughout his “forty years in our ears.”

“Junior Smith will be put on the United Way Community Builder Wall of Inspiration at City Hall,” Onyango said.