Ten films by 10 local filmmakers were showcased at the 19th annual gala screening of the Independent Filmmakers Co-operative of Ottawa Inc. (IFCO) March 12.

Topics ranged from poetry—both visual and spoken—to short narratives and travel collages. The length of each film ranged from two minutes to 20.

Patrice James, executive director of IFCO, began the night with a “heartfelt thanks to those coming out to support the arts.”

IFCO is a volunteer-supported organization, whose members and sponsors make their projects possible.

Dave Johnson’s film “Excerpt: Nothing to Fear, But Fear Itself” dealt with the supernatural. His film featured shots from atop Mount Osore — which means “Fear Mountain” — in Northern Japan. This is where Buddhist monks believe lost souls go to rest, something Johnson’s film conveys with a vengeance.

“There is something for everyone in this crop of films,” said James, whose film “Oy! Ere’s England” finished off the night.

James also stressed IFCO’s dedication to working only with film. “This criteria is . . . intrinsically linked to the continued proliferation of filmmaking as an art form,” she said. It is also something for which IFCO is, she added, “unapologetic.”

The production formats for the films, following the trend of the night, were diverse. The films were shot in 16mm, Super 8mm and Super 16mm.

“It’s so exciting to be part of an organization where so much talent is flowing,” James said.

IFCO President Deniz Berkman had a simple but accurate definition of the night’s films. “They say movies are a slice of life,” he said. “I would call these films a slice of cake, because they’re sweet.”

This humour was often present in many of the films, where the jokes and witty comments were coupled with the quiet beauty.

Mike Kerr’s film “Patience” offered just that: a string of beautiful, simple images followed by a surprise ending that had audiences laughing through to the next film.

But there were also films that dealt with serious matters, such as lost love and drug addictions. These were no less beautiful than their humorous counterparts.

Nathalie Rainville’s film  “Pieces of You” showed glimpses of a love that had been torn apart. Coupled with her dramatic, and poetic, narrative, it was impossible not to feel the pain and loss of the young protagonist.

“They’re films that come deep from the filmmakers’ hearts, from the cockles of their souls, which explode on the screen,” said Berkman, whose film  “187 Days until Xmas”  was also shown during the night.

This dedication and passion was evident throughout the screenings. At the end, when all the filmmakers came up to the stage, there was a quiet pride evident in them all.

“The filmmakers are all making movies because they are enthusiastic about the opportunity to address their creative dreams and visualize the ambitions of their imagination,” Berkman said.

And although the theme of the night was “Celluloid Junkies,” there seemed to be a second, equally important, theme: encouragement.

Both Berkman and James continually urged audience members to try out filmmaking.

“We want to encourage aspiring filmmakers to join IFCO,” Berkman said, “Or to just pick up a camera and shoot. It’s not that hard.”