The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team had a successful regular season, finishing with a record of 14-5—a marked improvement on last year’s record of 9-10.

The performance was good enough for second in the Ontario University Athletic (OUA) North division. Unfortunately, the Ravens fell to the Windsor Lancers in the playoffs, the top team in the OUA West division.

This season had huge contributions from third-year forward Heather Lindsay and second-year forward Elizabeth Leblanc. The pair were rewarded for their efforts with selections to the OUA First and Second All-Star team, respectively.

“It was an honour to be named an all-star,” Lindsay said. “All season my main focus was to do whatever I can for our team to be successful and at the end of it, it was nice to be recognized with this award.”

Leblanc issued a similar sentiment when asked what it meant to be named an all-star.

“I feel like it’s a recognition for all the hard work and time put in over the season, because we definitely practice a lot,” she said. “It’s very nice to be recognized.”

Lindsay dominated the entire season, averaging 16 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks per game—good enough to earn her a spot on the First All-Star team. The 2013-14 OUA Rookie of the Year finished in the top five of nine statistical categories, including first in field goal percentage and points per 40-minute game.

She put on a show at the Capital Hoops Classic, with a double-double in the first half and finishing the game with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Her best performance of the season came Nov. 7 against Nipissing, when she notched 29 points and 13 rebounds in just 27 minutes of play time.

“In the past, since I’ve been here we have been unsuccessful, and to be able to go out in front of so many supportive fans and come out with such a big win was an incredible feeling that none of us will ever forget,” Lindsay said.

Leblanc was very dangerous and incredibly multi-talented, finishing with averages of 9.5 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 0.9 blocks per game, earning her a spot on the Second All-Star team. Last season Leblanc was named to the OUA All-Rookie team.

Leblanc was very versatile all season, defending both forwards and guards. She was usually asked by head coach Taffe Charles to defend the opposing teams’ best players, all while leading the team with 29.6 minutes per game.

“I think this season I really contributed on the court. I’m not really a vocal person but I try to do more than I say. So I think being a leader on the court and getting other teammates to score contributed to our success,” Leblanc said.

When asked what the selection meant to the team, Charles said, “Those two had a great year and I do know that they’re pretty humble kids, and I know that the awards probably don’t mean that much to them because they’re probably feeling that we weren’t as successful as we’d like to be, but it’s still very well deserved.”