Ryan Van Stralen recently wrapped up his fourth and final year as part of the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team.

Over the course of his time at Carleton, Van Stralen recorded 48 goals and 45 assists in 97 games.

While part of the Ravens, Van Stralen got the opportunity to travel to Halifax in his second year to compete at the national championship where they lost in the first game against Saskatchewan.

Van Stralen is now playing for the Wichita Thunder of the ECHL where he has tallied five goals and five assists in nine games.

The Charlatan sat down with Van Stralen to talk about his career and plans for the future.

The Charlatan (TC): How did you get started playing hockey?

Ryan Van Stralen (RVS): When I was younger, before the time I could walk, my parents had me on skates. My dad always had an outdoor rink, and I was out there as soon as I could walk and that was my first time skating. And then, when I reached the age where I could go into organized hockey, I did and I’ve been playing ever since.

TC: What has been your favourite moment as a Raven over the course of your career?

RVS:  I’d say going to nationals in my second year. I’d say that was definitely the highlight, it was a pretty unique experience, unfortunately I only got to do it one out of four years, but you know, I wouldn’t trade that. That was something special, and we had a pretty exciting game. We lost in the first game and were out, but that game will forever be embedded in my head. It was something, special and it was definitely a tough loss, but it was a pretty exciting game to be a part of.

TC: What has been your most memorable moment as a Raven?

RVS: We had a big overtime comeback game against York in my second year at home. We were down by a couple goals going into the third. We had a bunch of penalty trouble and we fought back in the third period to tie the game up and went to overtime and won that game. That was pretty cool to be a part of, you know, they’re a good team and we fought hard to come back and get the win. That was pretty special

TC: For the past few years, a large part of your life has been defined by your role as a varsity athlete. What are you going to do now that that’s over?

RVS:  Well I think now, my job I guess for the time being is being a professional hockey player, so, I think I’m going to have to spend my time on hockey and taking care of my body and making sure that each day I can perform, whether it be at practice or at games to continue to play at a harder level as I move forward.

TC: Do you have any advice you would give to new players joining the team?

RVS: Yeah, for sure, same advice I was given my first year is time flies by, it truly does. You know, you’ll be in your first year and then your second, and before you know it, your third’s over and you’re in your last year and you look around and you won’t be playing, you won’t be sitting alongside those guys ever again, so cherish it and take each day in. There’s always something going on and something to do with the boys, so I think that’s the best advice anyone can give someone going into their first year.

Photo by Dan Robertson