Graphic by Helen Mak.

Natasha Smith, captain of Carleton’s women’s rugby team, won the team’s Most Valuable Player and overall Female Athlete of the Year at the university’s Athletic Banquet on March 19.

Smith is also an Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) all-star and first-team all-Canadian.

Smith has played rugby for Carleton for five years and has been the leader on and off the field. She has lead the team in tries scored year after year.

The Charlatan sat down with Smith to talk about her experience with rugby at Carleton, representing her country, and her post-graduation plans.

The Charlatan (TC): When did you start playing rugby for Carleton?

Natasha Smith (NS): I played five years for Carleton. The first two years we weren’t varsity, we were just a club. We trained just as hard as we do now. Every morning, 6:40 a.m. We had to be on the field, but we didn’t have a change room or anything like that. We finally became varsity in 2012.

TC: Can you walk me through some of the highlights of your season?

NS: It was our best season so far. It’s our third year so we’re still pretty new. We got a lot of new recruits. We didn’t finish as well as we wanted to, but we’re getting better every year.

TC: How did you get into rugby?

NS: I played basketball for eight years, and someone basically said, “Oh, come out for the rugby team.” I ended up playing in Grade 12, and it was cool. I didn’t play my first year at Carleton, and then my second year, the same girl said I should come out and play, so I did.

TC: Tell me about your experience playing for Team Canada.

NS: The first time I played for them was in Russia, in 2013, and then I played for them in Brazil in 2014. A month ago, I went to Vegas with them to play in a tournament.

TC: Do you plan to keep rugby in your life after graduation?

NS: I’m involved with the national program. Right now I’m on the long list for the World Cup, and I’m trying to make the short list. There’s a camp in Kingston in a couple of weeks, there’s gonna be a lot of players out, so I want to do that. Then I want to get carded and move to B.C. and train full time there.

TC: What are your plans for the upcoming year?

NS: I want to get into [Human Relations (HR)], that’s what I concentrated in at school. I have a business degree, with a minor in psychology. I want to . . . get certified as an HR professional.

TC: Has there been a coach or mentor who’s shaped you as a player during your journey?

NS: Denis Blondin, my head coach. He taught me everything I know about rugby. When I came, I didn’t know how to pass, I didn’t know how to score. I have so much respect for him, he’s my mentor.

TC: How have you changed as a player throughout your career?

NS: With rugby it’s so confusing when you first start. There are so many rules. It’s basically experience, being able to read plays, to envision the next play, and that comes with time. That’s how I’ve developed as a player, not just my skills, but being able to see the next play.