Editor’s Note: the in-print version of this story does not mention that Francois Brassard was named 2018/19 OUA East Goalie of the Year and to the OUA All-Star team. 

A sixth-round selection of the NHL’s Ottawa Senators in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Francois Brassard, established himself as the starting goalie for the Carleton Ravens’ men’s hockey team during the 2016-17 season.

Brassard never relinquished the starting position during three full seasons with the Ravens, playing 67 of a possible 84 games in net for the team and posting a .912 save-percentage over those three seasons.

Brassard is set to leave Carleton as the Ravens’ single-season record-holder for most wins in a season, with 15 (established in 2018-19). The Charlatan caught up with Brassard earlier this week to discuss his career and his future prospects.

The Charlatan (TC): In the first place, when you were a kid, how did you get into hockey?

Francois Brassard (FB): My whole family is pretty much a hockey family. My dad used to fill the rink out in the backyard, so my older brother was already skating, and we had the rink in the backyard, so I kind of started there, because I wanted to be like my older brother. My dad was a goalie, so I just kind of picked it up.

TC: As you moved on, you got drafted into the NHL by the Ottawa Senators. Was that something you ever expected to happen?

FB: Not really. I mean, it kind of took off pretty quick. Obviously, it was something I was working towards. As a kid, growing up, it’s always been the dream. It kind of went pretty fast. When I was 16, I had to move to Montreal to play triple-A, and then one summer, it was my draft year in the [Quebec Major Junior Hockey League], and I ended up battling to make a spot to play in the [QMJHL], and the next summer after that was my NHL draft, and I ended up being drafted. It kind of happened pretty fast, and I didn’t really expect it to happen, but obviously it was something I was working towards.

TC: Take me through the transition you made between your pro career and then coming here. What was the process there?

FB: What happens after you play in the [QMJHL] is you can go play pro for half a season, and come back and not have the red shirt (losing a year of eligibility). So I played half a season, and I wasn’t really happy with where I was in the minors, so I just kind of decided to come back to school.

And I already had a [relationship with former Ravens men’s hockey head coach] Marty Johnston here, and I was working out here in the summer and skating with the guys here in the summer. So I knew a lot of guys on the team, so I came and stuck around the team and decided to play for a couple of years.

TC: What was your favourite part about playing for the Ravens?

FB: I think my favourite part is when you get to the playoffs and it goes by pretty quick. I think this year has been my favourite year so far because we’ve had a really good run, and we’re looking to keep going on Friday, but it’s definitely been my favourite year playoff-wise.

TC: In your three years, what sticks out as a particularly memorable moment over the course of your time here?

FB: Obviously, coming in at the end of the half of [the 2015-16] season and going to Nationals, even though I wasn’t playing, technically my first year was pretty much a highlight, so hopefully I get a second Nationals experience this year.

TC: Who would you consider to be your biggest influence as a mentor during your time here?

FB: Definitely (current assistant coach) Mark Cavallin. He’s been a huge impact to our program since he’s been here. So has [Shaun van Allen], obviously. When Marty [Johnston] left, I think [Cavallin] really took a step up to make sure all the guys got what they needed, and to take a step up for recruitment and stuff like that. So, I think it helped—just having [Cavallin] helped take the program to the next level, and making sure guys have what they want equipment-wise or off the ice and making sure everyone is taken care of. I think he’s been a good mentor to me, and he was the goalie coach when I got here, so he’s always the guy I go talk to.

TC: What are your plans for next year?

FB: I’m trying not to think about it too much right now. I’m definitely looking to play some more pro in North America, and, after in a year or two, I’ll maybe head to Europe. I don’t really know what’s going to happen, so I’m going to have to take it year-by-year from there.

TC: What will you miss most about playing for Carleton?

FB: Definitely having all the guys that you’ve been going to school with, and sticking around with the same guys for a couple of years. A lot of guys in this locker room I’ve been with for three years, and even more sometimes, like [Alex] Boivin, and [Adam] Chapman I played with in junior as well so it’s been guys that I’ve been around for a long time. It’s definitely different when you get to pro, because guys are moving around a lot, and you don’t get to play with the same guys year after year. Definitely, having the locker room and the friends you make in college—I’m going to miss that for sure.

Image by Tim Austen