Derek Brown has recently wrapped up his fifth and final year as a defenseman on the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team.

Brown began his university hockey career in the 2013-14 season after playing two seasons for the Ottawa Jr. Senators of the Central Canada Hockey League.

Throughout his time at Carleton, Brown has played in 93 regular season games and 14 playoff games, recording a total of 25 assists.

The Charlatan spoke with Brown about his career and what he hopes to do after leaving Carleton.

The Charlatan (TC): How did you get started playing hockey?

Derek Brown (DB): I started playing pickup with my older brother and my dad on my back rink when I was about two or three, but actually organized hockey, I started playing when I was four, and I just played regular house league hockey.

TC: What will you miss most about being a Raven, [and] is there anything you won’t miss?

DB: Probably just coming to the rink every day and seeing the same guys cause some of them I’ve seen for the past four years and just the campus, it’s a beautiful campus, being right on the river and the canal. Things I won’t miss—I don’t think there’s anything I won’t really miss, maybe just like the school part. But that also adds to playing university hockey . . . going to school and playing hockey at the same time.

TC: What has been your favourite moment as a Raven over the course of your career?

DB: I would have to say, there’s a couple of them. One, going to Halifax for nationals, that was a lot of fun, I’ll remember that for a very long time. The other one I guess I would say would be in that same year – beating McGill to make it to the finals, That was one of my happiest moments.

TC: How do you think your final season went?

DB: I think it went pretty good, I mean, it was the hardest season that we’ve had since they kind of changed who we play and how many times we play them, but I think we did a great job. We didn’t really get the result that I think we deserved or needed, but I’m happy with it.

TC: Do you have any advice you would give to new players joining the team?

DB: I would just say enjoy it. Don’t let the stress of school affect anything and just try to enjoy it and have fun and it’s over before you realize.

TC: What are your plans for the future?

DB: I’m not really sure at this moment. I am talking to a couple teams right now, but hopefully next year playing pro either across in Europe or in the States, but as of right now, I’m still kind of figuring that out.

Photo by Dan Robertson