Laurentian University students are voicing their concerns after the school announced Feb. 12 it will close its Barrie campus in 2017.

Laurentian has run programs on the campus for 15 years.

The decision was made by Laurentian’s board of governors after not receiving a grant from the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU).

Chris Mercer, Laurentian’s executive director of student life, said the university had a vision of expanding into a full four-year university, but the MTCU didn’t share this vision.

Laurentian applied for provincial funding support to expand the degree program offering in Barrie.

“Unfortunately, we were not successful,” Mercer said.

The MTCU instead gave the money to York University to open a campus in Markham.

Upon discovering Laurentian would not receive a provincial grant, the board of governors decided the school wasn’t financially stable enough to continue to run the satellite campus.

The decision to close down the university was made in camera at the board of governors meeting without the consultation of the Laurentian Students’ Union (LSU) in Barrie.

“We requested to have a vote or at least be in the in camera portion of the meeting when they were discussing our future and our fate, but they did not allow us,” LSU vice-president James Westman said.

“The two student unions in Sudbury voted on our future when we were not allowed to,” he said.

Mercer said the board of governors made what they deemed the right decision.

Students were emailed within the hour and Westman said the reaction was felt immediately.

“Students were furious—I think that’s the best word I can use to describe it,” Westman said.

There was a town hall meeting Feb. 14 between administration and students to discuss the situation.

Westman said the meeting was extremely tense and full of yelling.

The administration came up with several options to help Barrie students graduate after the campus closes.

The university suggested Barrie students complete their degree in Sudbury, where they would have their meal plan and residence paid for.

Students could also have the option to take online courses, transfer to another university on a letter of permission, or take a three-year degree instead of four.

The administration is also meeting with individual students to figure out their future. However, Westman said he thinks this isn’t enough.

“Students feel the [options are] inadequate. Obviously the meal plan [in] residence is a generous offer for those who can take it,” he said. “The problem is that only really works for young students who have no ties to the city. A lot of our students are mature part-time, because Barrie’s the only place they could go.”

The LSU said they will continue to demand every student be allowed to graduate where they started.

“We think there’s an implicit contract when you pay tuition in your first and second years that you’re going to be able to complete your degree where you began it,” Westman said.

The LSU has been working with the Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario (CFSO) to organize sit-ins and future protests against the closure.

“We helped to organize the 36-hour occupation of the administration offices to spread the word and really rally support,” said CFSO chairperson Rajean Hoilett.

Westman said they will be taking buses up to Sudbury for the next board of governors meeting on April 15 for a demonstration.

Hoilett said CFSO will support the LSU throughout the entire process.

“We’re committed to continuing to support the [LSU], to support the students on the campus and all of their organizing efforts,” Hoilett said.