[Photo from file]

If any Carleton fan could have drawn up Sept. 20’s Panda Game rivalry match-up between the Carleton Ravens and University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees, they could not have possibly drawn it any better than the Ravens football team did themselves.

Trailing the U of O team 31-27 and down to the final play of the game, Steve Sumarah’s Ravens pulled off a miracle. After having sat on the bench all afternoon, Ravens second string quarterback Jesse Mills entered the game for its final play.

After dropping back into the pocket, Mills’ pass downfield was deflected into the hands of receiver Nate Behar, who trotted into the Gee-Gees endzone to secure a historic victory for the Ravens.

“It’s surreal,” Sumarah said post-game. “You’ve got one play left in the game, and you’re about 65 yards away. This feeling is what you play for.”

Despite the dream outcome, the Ravens struggled in the first half with both discipline and mental focus. Multiple first quarter fumbles and plenty of undisciplined penalties haunted them, and they trailed 18-14 at the half.

The afternoon started well enough for Carleton, with the Ravens forcing a fumble on the second play of the game and recovering the loose ball deep inside Gee-Gees territory. The very next play, Ravens quarterback Nick Gorgichuk scampered 16 yards for the score to give Carleton an early 7-0 lead.

The Gee-Gees chipped away throughout a sloppy first quarter, with a pair of Lewis Ward field goals and a rouge tying the game up at seven after 15 minutes of play.

The second quarter saw the two teams exchange offensive punches, with Gorgichuk finding Behar for a 42-yard touchdown to put the Ravens in front before Gee-Gees running back Mack Tommy punched in a 13-yard touchdown on the ground.

At the half, the Ravens found themselves trailing 18-14. Tommy racked up over 100 yards on the ground for U of O, and multiple fumbled snaps had given the Gee-Gees plenty of opportunity to score more than the 18 points they posted.sPanda8_13_KyleFazackerley_(WEB)

Midway through the third quarter, Gorgichuk orchestrated a veteran drive ending in another Behar touchdown, which was soon after nullified by yet another Gee-Gees field goal.

Carleton took a slim lead in the fourth quarter courtesy of a pair of Mike Domagala field goals, but all seemed lost when U of O quarterback Derek Wendel put the Gee-Gees up with a four-yard touchdown run.

The Ravens’ hopes dwindled even further with a minute and a half remaining, as Ward drilled another field goal to extend the Gee-Gees lead to 31-27, setting the stage for one final Carleton drive.

When Mills entered the game for the final play, he heaved a pass down field that seemed to hang in the air for ages. Both U of O and Carleton fans were on their feet anticipating a Gee-Gees win, but after a quick deflection, and a lightning-quick Behar dash to the endzone, it was the pro-Carleton side that was sent into a frenzy.

sPanda8_4_KyleFazackerley_(WEB)

The scoreboard read 33-31 Ravens with no time remaining on the clock. U of O players left the field in stunned silence while the Carleton faithful stormed it, and none of the more than 12,000 fans in attendance could deny who won.

“I knew the moment he threw that pass. I believed that we were going to score. Unbelievable,” Ravens linebacker Emmanuel Barthelemy said.

Ravens running back Stefano Napolitano added he was thoroughly impressed by what he saw.

“We’re feeling good and building up. This is a huge step,” he said.

Despite that, Sumarah said he believes his team should not dwell on the historic win.

“We’ve got to shake it off . . . refocus for next week,” he said.

Historic? Yes. Redefining for a program still in its infancy? Without a doubt.