Graphic by Austin Yao.

Fish lovers may be one step closer to preventing the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. According to a recent study published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine, those who eat baked or broiled fish regularly have higher concentrations of grey matter in the brain, often an indication of cerebral health.

Holy mackerel!

The research team examined the connection between fish consumption and gray matter volumes among brain regions associated with memory and cognition. Tuna, salmon, and mackerel were among the fish analyzed.

Throughout the investigation, data from 260 cognitively-normal individuals was assessed with a specific look at diet, brain scans, and blood levels containing omega-3 fatty acids. The participants were 78-years-old on average.

Even after taking factors such as age, sex, race, education, physical activity, body mass index, and brain tissue damage into account, the findings revealed those who consumed baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis had their grey matter volumes increased by four to 14 per cent.

This signifies healthier brain functioning in areas responsible for cognition and memory.

By contrast, fried fish did not bring about an upswing in grey matter volumes. This is likely due to high frying temperatures that remove nutrients.

Singin’ a different cognitive tuna

The study’s lead author, Dr. Cyrus A. Raji, specializes in diagnostic radiology at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

For Raji, the observations contribute to discussions on the prevention of Alzheimer’s and related neurodegenerative conditions that come with age.

Choosing to be on the fishier side of life

“Most forms of dementia have big lifestyle components to them,” Raji says.

“As an individual, you have the power to change your brain health and improve your brain health based on lifestyle choices.”

Diet is one lifestyle component that can often curb or exacerbate Alzheimer’s.

Raji suggests diets incorporating fish, at any age,  can enhance the health of the hippocampus, an area of the brain that is not only vital normal memory functions, but also particularly receptive to neurodegenerative conditions such as dementia.

Swimming in Canadian waters

In Canada, awareness of the relationship between food and Alzheimer’s may benefit the general public.

Approximately 740,000 Canadians have Alzheimer’s or a related form of dementia, according to Mimi Lowi-Young, Alzheimer Society of Canada CEO.

Within than 20 years, this figure is expected to rise to 1.4 million. This number doesn’t account for the many families and caregivers that will also be affected by the increase.

The Alzheimer Society of Canada’s Heads Up for Healthy Living program targets food choices, especially as a way of improving the quality of life for those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

The initiative focuses on a balanced, nutritious diet, incorporating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fluids.

While fish is not directly referenced, Lowi-Young recommends a Mediterranean-style diet that typically includes at least two servings of fish and seafood per week.

“We try not to be too directed, but a Mediterranean diet is low in fat. A heart-healthy diet is also a brain-healthy diet,” she says.

In addition to diet, Raji’s research also focuses on combating obesity, smoking, and a lack of exercise, all of which detract from cardiovascular health.

Not common knowledge

While lifestyle advocacy is currently underway among respected medical circles and sprawling health organizations, there are still gaps in knowledge on the ground.

In 2012, Sally Cleary’s 81-year-old husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

The Ottawa resident was unaware of the links between dietary considerations such as regular fish consumption and brain wellness.

“I didn’t know about fish in terms of brain health. My husband doesn’t focus on diet. His treatment is more so medication-based. It’s supposed to help slow down his condition,” Cleary says.

The future of what we might not remember

According to the Alzheimer Society of Canadas website, on a worldwide scale, there are an estimated 44 million cases of dementia.

By 2030, it is projected that there will be 65.7 million people living with the disorder. 

Combatting it with hooks and lines

As Alzheimer’s is the most common cause of dementia, the positive connection observed between fish and grey matter may mitigate the widespread disease.

For those who dislike the taste of fish, the study showed that by eating it only once a week, grey matter levels increase.

When it comes to Alzheimer’s and brain health, small lifestyle changes may play big roles.