Throughout my childhood, those around me always placed a heavy emphasis on my Jewish roots.

I was enrolled in Hebrew day school from the age of three until I graduated in June 2011. I have memories of attending synagogue (or shul, as many Jews refer to it) with my family from a very early age, as well.

Although my family wouldn’t be classified as extremely religious, I always felt I had a good idea of what it means to be Jewish thanks to the laws and traditions that we observed in our household.

But what also became increasingly clear as I got older was that Judaism is not a simple, blanket term. I observed that there could be many different meanings of being Jewish, which cater to a vast amount of people.

Jews can be (and often are) divided into various sects — including Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist — each with their own beliefs and differing methods of observance.

While some would define themselves as “religious,” such as Jews who observe the Sabbath and only eat kosher food, others might describe themselves as being “culturally” Jewish, as their actions are solely for the sake of custom and tradition.

This notion of plurality within the Jewish religion was further exemplified to me this past month. In a YouTube video that has since gone viral, a young writer named Andrew Lustig recites his poem, “I am Jewish,” declaring what Judaism means to him by beginning each verse with the words, “I am.”

With the theme of Schindler’s List playing in the background, Lustig discusses serious issues regarding Jewish life, such as the Holocaust and potential peace between Israel and its neighbours:

“I am the collective pride and excitement that is felt when we find out that that new actor, that great athlete, his chief of staff . . . is Jewish,” he recites. ”I am the collective guilt and shame that is felt when we find out that that serial killer, that Ponzi schemer, that wife beater . . . is Jewish.”

Lustig also makes light of certain stereotypes:

“I am asked where my black hat is, if I really get eight presents on my Christmas, why my sideburns aren’t super long, and if I’ve really never tried bacon.”

“I am asked if my dad’s a lawyer. I say ‘No. My mom is. My dad’s an accountant.’”

In addition, Lustig clarifies several misconceptions with lines such as, “I am the Torah and not the Old Testament. I am a Kepah and not a Skull Cap.”

But what I found the most powerful about this video are the specific examples of culture and religion that Lustig associates with himself. For instance:

“I am all the words in Yiddish I’ve been called all my life that I still don’t understand.”

“I am my melody of Adon Olam [an early morning prayer]. The words may be the same but I am my melody of Adon Olam.”

“I am constantly struggling to understand my Jewish identity outside of religion.”

Every individual has a right to find a connection to Judaism in his or her own way, free from any outside judgment. Lustig’s poem exemplifies this position perfectly.

For me, a first-year student living on campus, maintaining my connection has required a certain level of commitment.

For example, I will only eat meat that is kosher, which the university cafeteria obviously doesn’t have. This means that I usually rely on vegetarian options. While this has been difficult, I feel that it has nevertheless been rewarding.

As well, I have made an effort to get involved with the Chabad Student Network, a joint University of Ottawa-Carleton club (located near the University of Ottawa campus), where I go almost every Friday evening for a short prayer service and a kosher Shabbat meal.

Being Jewish can mean many different things to a variety of people. For me personally, honouring the laws I learned in Hebrew school growing up plays a significant role in my day-to-day activities. This mindset helps me maintain my Jewish connection while living far away from home.

I am proud of my Jewish upbringing.