Peter Russell, Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) councillor for journalism, resigned from his position at the last CUSA meeting on Sept. 28. Russell served as the journalism councillor for five months after being elected uncontested at the end of last year.

CUSA has now posted a call for a new councillor on their website. A special student seat is vacant as well.

In his resignation speech at the council meeting, Russell said power struggles were part of the reason he decided to resign, according to the meeting’s minutes.

“We got a lot done for the better of the campus and it shows how like-minded or not like-minded people can really hash things out in order to get them done,” Russell said. “It also shows how the power can bring out the worst in us and sometimes get to some people’s heads. Sometimes we let our own ambitions get ahead of students.”

Russell also attributed his resignation to an increased need to look after his mental health, but he said students should know that taking care of your mental health is a sign of strength.

“I’m okay with people knowing—this isn’t something people should feel ashamed to admit. I want others to see that taking time to work on yourself isn’t giving up, it’s taking control of your life,” Russell said.

Russell added that for him, being on the council was a rewarding experience, regardless of how it ended.

CUSA president Fahd Alhattab said council is sad to have had Russell resign, but he is happy Russell is doing what is best for himself.

“He’s been struggling with his own priorities and has come to a realization that he really wanted to step away to focus on himself,” Alhattab said.

Alhattab added the nature of CUSA council allows for a divide to be created between councillors based on ideologies and personal issues.

“There’s been a group of councillors who have consistently been very defensive and very negative towards a lot of projects that have been put forward,” he said. “They sometimes disagree for the sake of disagreeing.”

While on council, Russell was vocal in his support for tuition decreases and advocating for the Ontario Public Interest Research Group during their lease renegotiations.

Alhattab said Russell was a very active councillor who contributed a lot to CUSA.

“He’s been very active and supportive and also very critical of our work to be able to ensure that we’re really moving CUSA forward,” Alhattab said.

Russell said part of his decision to resign was based on not only wanting to just show up and vote. He said he had hoped to be more involved in CUSA projects.

Alhattab said Russell’s resignation could be a step forward towards fixing the divide on CUSA council.

“What he’s done is he’s put a spotlight on the issue,” Alhattab said. “Disagreements will always exist and sides will always be created, but when we have a toxic culture, that can be fixed.”