Tanukis, mythical creatures in Japanese folklore, are hidden around l’Alliance Française as part of their augmented reality exhibition, Uramado. Pictured in Ottawa in January 2023. [Photo by Sadeen Mohsen/The Charlatan]

Uramado AR showcases the awakening of the Tanukis, nature spirits from Japanese mythology that help you discover your true self. The exhibition is on display at l’Alliance Française Ottawa until April 30. 

Created by artist Julie Stephen Chheng, the exhibition mixes Japanese mythology with interactive technology to create a virtual universe where these mythical creatures can come to life.

The exhibition contains several images of the Tanukis all over the space and visitors use a phone or tablet to interact with the creatures. Once they come to life on the screen, the Tanukis ask ordinary questions, such as, “which environment do you feel most connected to—oceans or mountains?” to help visitors discover their true selves.

Each Tanuki has a unique trait and behaves in their own special way in their environment, which comes to life on visitors’ screens. The process of completing the exhibition is an adventure, and visitors must search all over the space to find the hidden creatures.

At the end of the exhibition, visitors are given their Tanuki and an element based on their answers, such as air or water, along with a mask of the chosen creature. The interactive exhibition is available in various languages including French, Spanish and Japanese.

Originally from France, Lauriane Tiruel and Mariette Moulin are part of the l’Alliance Française team and have been in Ottawa since October 2022. While the exhibition was already in the works when they arrived, they helped to organize it, going to great lengths to ensure the animations served their purpose. 

“We had to choose strategic places so that the animations were more enjoyable,” Tiruel said.

On Jan. 28, l’Alliance Francaise held a mask-making activity to introduce children to the exhibit. Tiruel and Moulin said it was an effective way of merging several communities together to experience and discover Japanese folklore in a bilingual environment.

“We’ve had people come in to see the exhibit, adults and children; they’ve all enjoyed it,” Moulin said, adding l’Alliance Française did its best to make the exhibit a safe space for the community.

The Uramado AR exhibition exemplifies how digital art is a valid medium and allows society to increase and shift their perception of art to the world. 

“I think it’s about realizing digital art can be just as moving as [traditional] art,” Moulin said.

So far, the exhibition has seen a variety of visitors. The staff and parents accompanying their children have also interacted with the Tanukis and been pleasantly surprised. 

“You may think that [only children would enjoy it] but it was the adults as well,” Moulin said. “They were so amazed and didn’t expect such a thing from digital art.”

Visitors of all ages enjoyed interacting with the creatures, including young adults. For some, the experience was a calm and relaxing activity, while others enjoyed the exhilaration of hunting for the Tanukis. 

“[I liked] the way we [could] identify ourselves to [these] little creatures,” museum visitor Claire Joyeux said in an email.

Tiruel said she hopes the exhibit offers a chance for visitors to explore what l’Alliance Française has to offer.

“[It’s] an opportunity for [everyone] to discover the space,” she said.

Featured image by Sadeen Mohsen.