The Embassy of Japan held its first-ever Anime Film Week last week. The free screenings took place at the Embassy of Japan from August 21-25 and featured a wide variety of anime films, new and old.

Patrick Szoldatits is a communications assistant in the Information and Culture Section of the embassy.

“We wanted to ensure that we selected a broad range of films to cater to a wide audience,” Szoldatits said in an email.

“For example, we included the cult classic Akira, while also showing more recent releases like The Boy and the Beast,” he said.

“We also wanted to appeal to a wide age range, with Wolf Children attracting a more mature audience, while also selecting Strong World: One Piece Film for a younger demographic,” Szoldatits said.

Dylan Fox-Altherr is a second-year chemistry master’s student at Carleton and an anime fan.

He said he likes anime because it provides an escape from reality.

“Whether it’s to escape from the bad stuff that’s happening and pretend it’s not there or to escape from the boredom of your own life to see something more interesting, and like, kinda get into that new world,” Fox-Altherr said.

Fox-Altherr said he didn’t hear about the anime film week at the embassy, but added that he wouldn’t have gone even if he had.

“I can watch anime online, why do I have to go to the embassy to watch anime?” Fox-Altherr said.

“I’m definitely on the introverted side of some otakus,” Fox-Altherr said.

In Japan, an otaku is defined as “a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills.”

“I think there are a lot people who would be interested in this,” Fox-Altherr said.

“And like if it was even bigger they could even cosplay and do all that crazy stuff that happens at like conventions and everything,” Fox-Altherr said.

Nearly 400 people attended the screenings at the embassy over the course of the week and feedback was largely positive, Szoldatits said.

“Many commented that the films were beautiful and that the Embassy should continue to host such an event,” Szoldatits added.

In addition to the film week, the embassy offers a wide variety of Japanese books and films for people to borrow. Some titles include Kimba, The White Lio, The Girl Who Leapt through Time, and Howl’s Moving Castle.

While the embassy cannot confirm if this will become an annual event, they said they hope to continue the screenings next year.

Similar events in Ottawa include a showing of My Neighbor Totoro, a classic anime for children, at the Bytowne Cinema, on Oct. 14 at 2:30 p.m.  

Photo by Meagan Casalino