The University of New Brunswick Student Union’s website was hacked Oct. 5 by apparent supporters of the militant group ISIS.

Student union president Greg Bailey said the website was hacked by the group “Team System Dz,” who changed the website so it said, “I love you ISIS,” and called for the “elimination of America and the allies of its infidels.”

“We immediately contacted our website company as well as the RCMP. It got fixed in about two hours by our website providers,” he said.

Bailey said it appears the student union was not targeted.

“We found out that we weren’t by any means alone in this. There were dozens of websites that were hacked across North America by the same organization,” he said. “It just came in through whatever server we’re hosted on. It wasn’t targeted at us, it was just kind of a broad strokes thing that we got caught up in.”

Team System Dz posts links to the websites it hacks to its Facebook page. According to an Oct. 5 post on the page, it also allegedly hacked the websites of several other New Brunswick organizations, including the New Brunswick Nurses Union and the Saint John Arts Centre.

Bailey said this is the first time the website has been hacked.

“I mean from our point of view, obviously it could have been worse,” he said. “We don’t store any sensitive information on our website. We don’t have anything confidential or any student information there.”