The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team notched their first home win and loss of 2020 against University of Ontario Tech and Queen’s University.

The Ravens beat the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks 85-32 on Jan. 17, led by Emma Kiesekamp’s 17 points and three blocks. The third-year forward scored from inside and out, as well as from the foul line (four-for-four) and three-point line (one-for-two). 

“I’m trying to get like [Ravens guard] Madison Reid,” Kiesekamp said. “I’ve been working on my threes, working on my 21 shots [drill] and I would like to become more of a threat out there.”

Carleton scored off transitions as both teams turned the ball over frequently–Carleton had 21, Ontario Tech had 26. However, the Ridgebacks’ size and physicality gave Carleton problems, getting 23 free throws. 

“They’re really physical and they’re really athletic,” Ravens forward Navneet Sandhu said. 

“It was a good way for us to perfect [our defence] because we’re going to have to work harder on moving our legs than using our hands and being lazy.” 

It was Sandhu’s first home game and third game of the season. She missed the first half of the campaign with a femur injury. 

She said the setback has been challenging, especially staying focused during the recovery. She did enjoy a confidence boost from scoring her first points against Ontario Tech (with seven points and two rebounds). 

“It just made me feel like this is a good way to start it off and I just need to keep improving,” Sandhu said. 

Carleton’s Marlee Ball takes a shot. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
The Ravens found more areas for improvement after their 80-75 overtime loss against the Queen’s Gaels the following night. 

Carleton fell behind in the first half but was able to consistently battle back and force overtime. However, in the extra period, their offence fell short, only scoring three points. 

“We had trouble getting into [offensive sets and plays] when Kali [Pocrnic] didn’t get the ball,” Ravens head coach Brian Cheng noted. “Kali needs to come get the ball back, we need to get her open better and we need to attack.” 

Queen’s full-court press also gave Carleton difficulties, according to Cheng. 

“I think they got us a couple of possessions where we weren’t organized and we were a little bit tired and we got a little bit unorganized,” he noted. “We got to get focused in those tired times so we can execute.” 

There were improvements to be made from both ends, according to Cheng. Offensively, it was about “cleaning up the possessions” and playing with more urgency despite fatigue setting in. 

“Our defence has to become more of a foundation of our games,” he added. 

The Ravens lost to the Gaels in Kingston earlier in the season, after Queen’s came back from a 17-point deficit. Ravens forward Alyssa Cerino said the team did a better job the second time. 

“Every game is a learning experience,” she noted. “Obviously, we don’t want to lose but sometimes you need games like that to show us how anything can happen in this league.” 

The Ravens’ remaining schedule will feature more top-ranked teams. All but one of their remaining games (University of Toronto) are against teams that have been nationally ranked this season. 

“I would rather play be playing a bunch of tough nationally ranked teams than low-level teams,” Kisekamp added.

The team also plans to have point guard Madison Reid back in the lineup “soon,” according to Cheng. Reid has been sidelined with an injury since the Ravens’ previous game against Ontario Tech on Nov. 9. 

“We can’t wait to have her back,” Cerino said. “Obviously, it’s going to be good for us. She’s one of our top scorers and one of our top defenders so it’s going to be nice having her back for sure.” 

The Ravens will return to action when they travel to Toronto for games against the University of Toronto and Ryerson University on Jan. 24 and 25. 

With files from Reanna Julien and feature image by Spencer Colby.