Veterans, government officials and citizens gathered under cloudy skies at the National War Memorial on Nov. 11 to mark Remembrance Day. 

Hosted annually by the Royal Canadian Legion, thousands paid their respects and reflected on past and present conflicts.

This year marks the 70th anniversary since the signing of the Korean Armistice Agreement, which ended three years of fighting in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953.

More than 26,000 Canadians served in this conflict, and it is remembered as the third-deadliest overseas conflict in Canadian military history.

Canadians travelled from across the country to attend this ceremony in the nation’s capital. For Arnprior local Dwayne Moser, this ceremony brought together families from across Ontario.

“My son is actually in the military, so I just like being a part of this [ceremony] when he comes down,” Moser said. “It’s really nice.”

The veteran’s march and the arrival of dignitaries started off the ceremony. Canada’s Governor General, Mary Simon, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attended the ceremony this year.

Trudeau’s appearance at Ottawa’s Remembrance Day Ceremony was his first since 2021.

The National Youth Choir of Canada sang “O Canada” before a moment of silence at 11 a.m. There were no flypasts at this year’s commemoration due to weather conditions.

Before the parade marched down Wellington Street, dozens of government officials, veterans and service people took turns laying wreaths at the foot of the memorial.

“The wreath laying here takes a very long time, but it’s always interesting to watch,” said Robert Hall, a veteran sporting multiple medals.

Hall and his good friend Mike Maloney attended two Remembrance Day ceremonies on Nov. 11.

The two started their day at 9 a.m. at a ceremony in Britannia. “I’m part of the choir that sings there every year and Robert came in all the way from B.C.,” Maloney said.

“We got up at the crack of dawn, had a very nice breakfast and walked over in the freezing cold,” Maloney added.

“I sang very badly, [Hall] watched and saluted very nicely,” Maloney continued with a smile.

The pair said being at the Ottawa cenotaph for the ceremony was meaningful. Hall decided to march in the parade with the other veterans.

“It’s been something I’ve wanted to do for a long time,” Hall said. “It was exhilarating and definitely an experience I’ll never forget.”

Along with others in attendance, the pair placed their poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after the ceremony.

After the parade down Wellington Street, Trudeau shook hands with those in attendance.

Taya Roy said she and her family were thrilled after their encounter with the prime minister.

“My dad was a huge fan of Trudeau, so I’m really happy that I got to meet him,” Roy said. “This was so unexpected.”

In the evening, “thousands of animated Poppies – each representing one of Canada’s Fallen… [cascaded] down the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill and on the Senate building at the National Arts Centre,” the Royal Canadian Legion’s website read.

Roy and her family enjoyed the ceremony this year. “It was very nice, and I really enjoyed being here. Just everyone all together, it really made me reflect.”

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter.