In Our Hands

Carleton researchers want to launch bugs into space

A Carleton University research team is preparing to test the effects of microgravity on crickets this summer. Insecta researchers say the “nutty” insects might be the key to sustainable space food.

Ditch The 'EV' Craze for Public Transit and Walkable Infrastructure

Society is increasingly embracing electric cars (EVs) as the future of environmentally friendly transportation. While battery-powered cars emit less pollution than their gasoline-powered counterparts, EVs are not as eco-friendly as commonly believed.

WEARING US DOWN: HOW THE ECONOMY WILL AFFECT SUSTAINABILITY IN FASHION

Delphine Devos, owner of second-hand clothing business Delirium Thrift in Montreal, has a keen eye for fashion and loves shopping for clothes that make her feel most authentic. But while scrolling on TikTok, she saw something that upset her.

Editor's Note

Welcome to the Charlatan's first-ever third Special Edition! In this April issue, we explore the efforts fof individuals and groups dedicated to fostering positive change in the places we call home.

As we navigate the complexities of our rapidly changing world, one thing becomes abundantly clear: storytelling is not merely a tool for reflection, but also a powerful catalyst for action. Within these pages, you'll discover a vibrant tapestry of stories illuminating our community's resilience and collective spirit in the face of the climate crisis and shifting economy.

From launching crickets into space for food to seniors exploring AI to express their artistic skills and creativity, there is boundless ingenuity and passion that propels our community forward.

I want to express immense gratitude to our dedicated volunteers and editors for their tireless work in delivering information to the Carleton community and beyond. The utmost appreciation is extended to our sources for entrusting us with their stories. Without their voices and efforts, this edition would not have come to fruition.

- Faith Greco, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

See more articles

Back-to-back national champion and MVP Kali Pocrnic weighs her future with the Ravens

Trailing 58-54 to the No. 1 ranked team in U Sports basketball with one quarter remaining in the championship final, Carleton Ravens guard Kali...

Ottawa seniors leverage fairy tales and AI artistry to build community

A group of 12 seniors sit in a brightly lit room inside the Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre. Their task is simple: together, the group...

‘Project Waterway’ blends Ottawa River conservation with fashion sustainability

Models strutted down the runway in earthy garments at the student-led environmentalist fashion show Project Waterway on March 12, showcasing the art of sustainability...

Embroidery exhibit threads ties between lands and bodies

For Montreal-based artist Tania Lara, geographies are interwoven with human identity. To explore that intersection, Lara turned to embroidery.  “The threading speaks of an active...

Wearing us down: How the economy will affect sustainability in fashion

Delphine Devos, owner of second-hand clothing business Delirium Thrift in Montreal, has a keen eye for fashion and loves shopping for clothes that make...

The Charlatan’s guide to spring outdoor fun

Ottawa’s reputation for being boring is simply unfounded when you consider all of the incredible outdoor activities in the city and its surrounding areas....