Cable television seemed to have no competition for many years, until instant-viewing Internet television was developed. Today, Internet television providers may very well take over the industry.

“The Internet is killing cable,” Chevy Zare, a Rogers service specialist, said. “Cable television will die out in 10-15 years because the younger generation is less likely to pay for an expensive cable plan.”

Internet-based television offers convenience for its subscribers, enabling them to watch what they want to, whenever they want, on a variety of platforms.

Netflix, Apple TV, and other Internet television providers have come up with on-demand viewing as a solution to this. This enables you to watch shows at your convenience, without any advertising interruptions.

“I’m never around to watch a show when it actually airs, and the TV networks all offer their shows online 24 hours afterwards,” said Chris Tomalty, a fourth-year public affairs and policy management student at Carleton University.

There are other issues surrounding cable television, such as cost.

Bell Canada’s answer to on-demand Internet television service is Fibe TV. A monthly subscription to Fibe TV, plus Internet, starts at $73.75 for the first six months. The subscription is raised to $106.66 per month after six months.

A subscription to Roger’s comparable NextBox television service is $82.62 for the first six months, and rises in price as time progresses.

A Netflix subscription is always $7.99 per month.

Cost and time restrictions aside, there are other ways that Apple TV and Netflix are pulling their customers in.

Apple TV, for example, provides different options to view the wide variety of shows and movies they offer. You can download in high definition, and rent instead of buy. Apple TV boasts a large selection as a pay-per-use billing alternative.

Netflix, on the other hand, seems to have won its viewers by using variety with a twist.

They’ve gone where no other Internet television company has gone before.

Netflix created several exclusive series for Internet television, such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

These series haven’t gone unnoticed. House of Cards and its cast have just been nominated for three Emmy Awards.

Netflix understands the market and where it’s headed. They’ve made a plan to replace broadcast television.

Netflix published an 11-page report with a long-term plan to replace cable TV.

“People don’t love the linear TV experience where channels present programs at particular times on non-portable screens with complicated remote controls. Finding good things to watch isn’t easy or enjoyable. While hugely popular, the linear TV channel model is ripe for replacement,” the report stated.

With the market shifting towards Internet-based television, it could be difficult for cable companies to stay relevant.

“Internet TV is on-demand, which is essential, and it’s in my room instead of my living room, so I’m never having to convince my roommates to watch one thing when The Bachelor is on,” Tomalty said.