Home Sports How Carleton student athletes are dealing with the cancellation of varsity sports

How Carleton student athletes are dealing with the cancellation of varsity sports

330
In between drills, masks are mandatory for players. [Photo by Tim Austen]

Carleton student athletes have been disappointed by the cancellation of their seasons, but many are not letting the setback derail their development as athletes.

In October, Ontario University Athletics (OUA) cancelled all OUA-sanctioned sports for the rest of the academic year as a result of COVID-19—disappointing student athletes who had high hopes for their sports season.

Joseph Vinson, a third-year computer science student and midfielder on the Carleton men’s soccer team said it’s frustrating being told you can’t do something that you love.

“I understand that the precautions were necessary as public health is the main priority, but it took away the events I look forward to the most during the fall term,” he said.

Vinson has three eligible years left to play soccer at the university level. He said he was hoping to play all three years of his eligibility at Carleton.

Despite the cancellation of the season, most sports teams are still practising to prepare for the next season. In order to follow physical distancing and safety guidelines, teams are trying to avoid drills that involve contact between players and focus on developing individual skills, Vinson said.

Rachel Getz, a third-year law student who plays the hooker position for Carleton’s women’s rugby team, said she’s been grateful for the opportunity to continue practising.

“We’ve been really fortunate to be able to continue to train and work out during these challenging times and I have just continued to push myself harder,” she said.

Getz said one of this year’s biggest challenges in rugby is finding ways to improve her skills and leadership in the sport, without the competitive and physical components of official games.

“I’ve been able to mentally transition into seeing the season being cancelled as an opportunity for myself and the rest of the team to grow and reconnect with our love for the sport and the culture we’ve created,” Getz said.

For most student athletes, this season’s cancellation has only delayed their plans, rather than cancelling them altogether.

“It doesn’t change anything. I’ve had a positive outlook on the season being cancelled and my situation from the moment it happened,” said Jonathan Edouard, a third-year film studies student and defensive back for the Raven’s men’s football team.

Edouard is a U.S. citizen, and went through passport and permit problems at the end of 2019, preventing him from coming back to Canada for the fall term last year.

Due to COVID-19, Edouard has not returned to Canada yet, and so has not been at the football practices still held by the team this season. However, that hasn’t stopped him from following his dreams of going pro.

“I am looking forward to my plans, 2021 will be a big year for me,” Edouard said. “I will graduate after the next season and will become eligible for the CFL draft.”

Featured image by Tim Austen.