(Photo courtesy Calnitsky Associates Architects Inc.)

The University of Saskatchewan (U of S) signed an agreement Nov. 7 to have a hotel built on its campus.

According to the agreement, signed with PR Hotels Ltd., the building will be a combination of Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge suites, the university announced on its website.

Judy Yungwirth, director of corporate administration at U of S, said the hotel will be located in the College Quarter, near the athletics buildings and close to residences.

The close proximity to residences will allow a variety of guests to be right on campus, such as parents, visiting athletes, or potential visiting students touring the university, she said. 

Yungwirth said the hotel plans to meet the College Quarter vision of diversifying the area.

“The college quarter is largely academic and research buildings,” she said. “What we’re trying to do is have a variety of services and bring together the community to meet university needs that aren’t being met on the core campus. Things like restaurants and the hotel, we’re also hoping for a new rink.”

Yungwirth said U of S picked PR Hotels because of its understanding of the College Quarter vision.

Having the two brands in the one building allows for a short-term or long-term stay, she said. The Holiday Inn express allows for a shorter stay while Staybridge Suites is better-suited for a longer one.

Yungwirth said there are currently no high-end hotels like Staybridge Suites in Saskatoon.

The construction for the hotel is expected to begin in spring 2014 and should be completed in the summer of 2016. It will be 10 stories high and have 203 rooms.

PR Hotels is a local Saskatoon-based company that owns and operates six other hotels.

Jeff Krivoshen, the company’s director of operations, said one reason for building this hotel was its location.

“The university is located right in the centre of downtown making it a great property to build on,” he said.

Yungwirth said the university would not use any of the school’s resources for construction, as PR Hotels would take care of all construction costs. The agreement also allows PR Hotels to lease the land in and take care of all the capital and operating costs.

Yungwirth said the university hopes to benefit financially through this lease agreement, using these funds to build a new rink.