The Carleton Ravens hockey teams are sporting an odd-looking gadget on their helmets this year, but it’s one that could be an important tool in preventing concussions.

The teams are using a new impact sensor called the Shockbox, which was developed by Impakt Protective Inc., a Kanata based company that strives to help coaches, parents, and therapists identify concussive events. The Shockbox is used by trainers to detect hits that can potentially lead to concussions.

“It’s the only one like this,” said Danny Crossman, co-founder of Impakt Protective Inc. “There are some made for other sports like technology that goes in a football helmet chin strap, but none specifically like this.”

The Shockbox is a small rectangular box that sits right on top of the player’s helmet — a little awkward for those who aren’t familiar with the device.

“Other than [the look]? No, [the players] have no complaints,” said Ravens men’s head coach Marty Johnston.

Powered by a lithium battery that can last up to 100 hours, the Shockbox is a single sensor unit that detects impact from the front side, rear and top of the helmet.   

It remains in an electric sleep until an impact upwards of 50 G (G-force of acceleration) triggers the Bluetooth signal in the device to send a message to the trainer. All the trainer needs to do is download an app to their phone and the data of the direction and magnitude of the hit gets sent from the Shockbox to their phone, Crossman said.

Currently, the application is compatible with Android, BlackBerry and iPhone devices within 300 feet of the action.

The device was created as an aid for trainers to recognize hits that could potentially cause a concussion. The onus is on the trainer to take the preventative measures to ensure the player is properly treated, he said.

Crossman said the device is designed for the minor leagues and for school teams.

“The pros have top end trainers and doctors, the device is simply to spot the impact,” Crossman said.

Already, the device is being used by several Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s and women’s hockey teams including Carleton, the University of Ottawa, the University of Guelph and the University of Western Ontario.

The Ottawa 67’s of the Ontario Hockey League are also going to be using the Shockbox starting this week, according to 67’s trainer Neil Hoch.

“The technology is a great step in the direction of helping athletic trainers have another tool to diagnose a concussion,” Hoch said. “Having as many resources as possible can only be beneficial to both the athletic trainer and the athlete because you can never be too safe with head injuries.”

Johnston said he too is optimistic about the technology.

“It’s too early to have an opinion [about the effectiveness]. We are still trying them out and we will see what the data shows. It is a very important tool.”