The Charlatan Logo

Who are we?

The Charlatan is Carleton University’s independent newspaper. Run by students for students, the paper has been providing the Carleton community with news and entertainment for more than 75 years.

Job Description: Culture & Community Editor

The Charlatan Culture & Community Editor is a detail-oriented part-time editorial position. The Culture & Community Editor will pitch, edit and publish stories with a focus on social awareness and activism within the Carleton and Ottawa communities. They will report to the Editor-in-Chief and have a close relationship with the editorial staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

• Overseeing two (2) to three (3) articles per week that touch on social awareness topics, such as protests, student activism, food, cultural events, etc.) to ensure the maintenance of high standards of accuracy, fairness and balance in reporting and writing;
  • Developing story ideas and planning coverage of events as early as possible, including assigning all articles in the section to writers;
  • Co-ordinating visuals for the section in conjunction with the Graphics and Photo Editor, including getting photo and graphic requests to the editors as early as possible;
  • Maintaining a section summary detailing all the articles in the section, their assigned writers, visuals, expected length and due dates;
  • Writing headlines and performing layout design of the section weekly in WordPress under the supervision of the Editor-in-Chief and Web Editor;
  • Maintaining contact with, supervising, and training volunteers and providing for volunteer contribution to the section;
  • Co-ordinating section coverage with Editor-in-Chief and other section editors;
  • Maintaining frequent communication with Arts and News editors to ensure distinct coverage and angles on stories;
  • Attending and contributing to all staff, editorial and copy meetings, including writing editorials as required, unless excused by the Editor-in-Chief
  • Meeting all deadlines set by the Editor-in-Chief;
  • Co-ordinating with the Social Media Editor, whenever necessary, to publish stories on Charlatan social media accounts;
  • Other reasonable duties as requested by the Board of Directors or the Editor-in-Chief; and
  • Having authority over all matters pertaining to the editorial content of the Culture and Community section (with the final authority over all editorial matters resting with the Editor-in-Chief).

Characteristics of a strong applicant include:

• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Press Style and Canadian English;
  • Experience in editing/proofreading written content;
  • Experience in fact-checking/researching;
  • Experience with journalistic writing conventions and ethics;
  • Experience working collaboratively in group settings;
  • Knowledge of the Carleton University community;
  • Clear and concise communication skills;
  • Willingness to learn;
  • Initiative;
  • Detail-oriented;
  • Creative;
  • Organized;
  • Resourceful;
  • Collaborative;
  • Positive attitude.

Other Important Information

The position requires part-time work beginning in September.

Job Type:

• Part-time, approx. 10 hours every two weeks

Salary:

• $300 – $330, paid every two weeks

Schedule:

• Monday to Friday, flexible working hours

Experience:

• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Press Style (preferred)
  • A least one (1) year of experience in fact-checking/researching/editing written content (preferred)
  • Previously contributed a minimum of four (4) articles to the Charlatan Arts or News sections within the last year (required)
  • At least one (1) year of involvement in the Carleton community (required)
  • Must be currently enrolled at Carleton University as a student (required). 

Location:

• Ottawa, Ont.

How to apply

Applicants should email a résumé and cover letter to the paper’s Editor-in-Chief, Natasha Baldin, at editor.charlatan@gmail.com by 11:59 p.m. EST on August 16, 2024. Successful applicants will be contacted for a virtual interview.