Health Canada released a safety alert last week warning incoming university and college students about the possible dangers associated with alcohol and illicit drugs, but especially, opioids. The alert comes as new students attend fall orientation weeks, also known as frosh.

With the ongoing opioid crisis in the country, Health Canada is still trying to raise the levels of awareness of the dangers associated with drug use and educate people on how to recognize the signs of an overdose, said Maryse Durette, a senior media relations advisor with Health Canada.

“While we’re already aware of the risks of drinking alcohol, the risk associated with the use of opioids is less known, so we thought we’d go out and let people know that there are risks, so that they can enjoy their orientation in the best way possible,” she said. 

There were nearly 4,000 apparent opioid related deaths in Canada in 2017, a considerable increase from the 3,000 in 2016, according to the statement.

Durette said of the 3,987 opioid-related deaths in 2017, 92 per cent were accidental, meaning that a person taking an opioid because they wanted to get high, not knowing that it was laced with either fentanyl or carfentanil, and that led to their death. 

Health Canada said in the statement that students should not mix drugs or mix drugs with alcohol, they should never leave their drinks unattended, and if they choose to use drugs, that they are testing them with test kits (which have limitations).

Carleton University is implementing several tactics during orientation week to address this issue, said Special Const. Laura Lalonde, and Carleton University’s acting community liaison officer. 

All Carleton University campus safety officers now carry Narcan at all times, a nasal spray form of Naloxone, which is used to reverse the side effects of a fentanyl overdose, according to her. 

“Our patrol officers are extremely visible during orientation week in the residence area and on campus. We’re there and we do talk to students about drug and alcohol usage and overdoses, as well as the resources available on campus,” Lalonde said. 

In addition to Campus Safety’s role, the Student Experience Office (SEO)—which organizes Carleton’s frosh week—will be addressing the topic of drug and alcohol use, said Danielle McKiernan, the student activities and engagement coordinator with the SEO, in an email.

“During our orientation volunteer training sessions, team leaders will receive training from Ottawa Public Health on overdose prevention and response training. This session will focus on warning signs of alcohol and drug misuse and intended responses for orientation volunteers,” she said. 

McKiernan said new students will also receive educational and awareness information through their packages and they will be talking about alcohol and drug use, and overall harm reduction. 

She said posters indicating the signs of a fentanyl overdose and what to do will be posted around campus.

Additionally, as the Oct. 17 marijuana legalization date approaches, Ottawa Public Health and all Ottawa post-secondary institutions have collaborated on a “Use Cannabis Responsibly” document which will be included in the packages, according to McKiernan. 

Anika Olsen-Neill, an incoming Carleton neuroscience and mental health student, said informing students about these dangers is what post-secondary school should be doing.  

“Instead of saying ‘We don’t want you to do this,’ they should be saying, ‘We understand from previous years that this is going to happen, and this is what you should be doing to make sure you don’t get hurt,’” she said.

Some of the signs of an opioids overdose include difficulty staying awake, very small pupils, slow and weak breathing, and cold and clammy skin.

In the event of a suspected overdose, please call the numbers below:

Campus Safety: 613-520-4444
Off-campus: 911 

File photo