Cookies, cakes, chocolates, pies, pudding, eggnog and turkey — all of these foods are enjoyed by families during the holiday season.

For many, the holiday wouldn’t be complete without a bird on the table, a glass full of eggnog, a large gingerbread house and a mountain of food on their plates to enjoy with friends and families. While these treats are popular this time of year, there can be consequences to eating so many fatty and sweet foods in such a short period of time.

A study done by the American National Institute of Child and Human Development in October concluded the average person will gain half to a whole kilogram (one to two pounds) over the holiday season.

Although this may not seem fatal, the hard part is working it all off again.

The study says this pound or two generally does not come off and Americans will gain this weight year after year.

At that rate, an average 20-year-old will gain about 30 kilograms by the time they’re 60, the study says.

But where exactly does all this weight come from?  Where are we going wrong in buying and baking our food?

Shayla Robertson, who works at an Independent Grocer location in Rockland, Que. says most of what is being sold this time of year is especially high in sugar and trans fat. Popular foods include cakes, cookies and different meats.

“People often ask if we serve cakes without sugar or cakes for [people with] diabetes, but unfortunately we do not,” Robertson said.
With this lack of sugar-free or low-fat sweets at major grocery stores, many start to look for healthier alternatives.

Purchasing vegan, organic and locally grown foods not only results in healthier eating, but also contributes to the local economy.
Vegan and organic goods are lower in preservatives and chemicals because they are made with natural materials.  

Ali Pester, a first-year human rights student at Carleton, said being vegan around the holidays can be difficult with all of the baked goods containing milk or eggs, and all the meat and meat products that are consumed. Still, she said, there’s always an alternative.

“For Christmas dinner, I would just take side dishes,” Pester said. “This year I plan on doing some baking with vegan products, and trying to influence my family and friends to eat vegan.”

Pester said buying vegan goods may not be as difficult as many would think.

“There are organic grocery stores, vegan bakeries [. . .] You really just need to know where to look.”

One vegan bakery here in Ottawa is Auntie Loo’s, located on Bronson Street. The owner, Amanda Lunan, said eating vegan has a lot of benefits.

“All of my stuff is handmade and all-natural. Stuff at grocery stores usually has a ton of chemicals and preservatives,” Lunan explained.

Lunan said she’s been vegan for 12 years and was inspired to open Auntie Loo’s when she realized vegan food that tasted like the real thing was hard to find. She said 80 per cent of her customers are not vegan, but just prefer to eat natural, healthier foods.

Some of the holiday options she offers are special Christmas cupcakes, cranberry marzipan gingerbread, and a “bake it yourself” cinnamon bun kit.

Another place to buy organic, vegan food in Ottawa – aside from desserts – is the Herb and Spice food shop, located on Bank Street.

Another way to make sure to stay healthy during the holidays is to keep active, taking a family stroll, ice-skating or going sledding with siblings.

Perhaps vegan and organic eating this holiday season isn’t for everyone. Maybe spending an entire year at the gym grants a week or two of indulgence during the holidays. All those miles docked on the treadmill must be good for at least one or two plates of turkey.

For those who want to switch things up this holiday season, however, feel free to dig in to a plate of organic squash and vegan gingerbread.