The Hanson brothers played at the Bronson Centre Feb. 8. (Photo by: Lasia Kretzel)

The Hanson brothers proved they were much more than a ‘90s boy band during their concert Feb. 8 at the Bronson Centre.

The band delivered a high-energy set to a crowd of screaming girls as they stopped in Ottawa for their Shout It Out tour across Canada.

Most know Hanson from “MMMBop,” but the band proved they had more than their 1997 breakout song. Brothers Isaac, Taylor and Zac played through a 20-song set which mixed older and newer tracks.

Hanson kicked off their set with “Waiting For This,” the same song that opens their newest album, Shout It Out. The blues and R&B-infused album is the third release through their own label, 3CG Records.

Fans who had hoped to hear the band’s ‘90s hits were not disappointed as the brothers mashed up older material like “Where’s The Love,” “Deeper” and of course “MMMBop,” with newer songs throughout the set.

Most of the applause was garnered by the hit single, but when the Hanson brothers gave their “heart and soul,” it made the crowd “lose control.” During the performance of their new single, “Give A Little,” the brothers stood in a line on stage bathed in white light. The crowd, especially the die-hard fans in the front, chimed in to the chorus singing, “Give a little heart and soul/Let your body lose control/Give a little oh oh ooh/Give a little.”

In a departure from simpler pop tunes, each member showcased more of their instrumental talent with solos filled with complex guitar riffs. Members also changed their instruments several times as Isaac switched guitars, and Taylor and Zac transitioned from guitar to piano and drums, respectively.

Taylor engaged the crowd as he taught people how to sing parts of their songs while harmonizing with them, which created a fun atmosphere. The band melted teenage girls’ hearts and started a “dance party” in the crowd while they were at it.

“Every Hanson show is a giant dance party. Everybody is there to have a great time,” said 26-year-old fan Leigh Morris. Even 15 years later, he added, “The band is still amazing.”