Gunshots were reported on campus just after midnight Feb. 11, according to campus safety.

Allan Burns, Carleton’s director of university safety, said the complaint was received from witnesses outside of Oliver’s Pub.

“We had two officers in Oliver’s at the time and another two in the area that hadn’t heard anything,” he said.

However, he said something happened shortly before midnight.

“When we look at our video we know that something happened in the parking lot . . . that caused people that were in view of the camera in front of the university centre to look towards the centre parking lot,” Burns said.

First-year student Rachel Radyk said she heard the noise and saw what “looked like two black guys and one white guy who was wearing a plaid scarf wrapped around his face” in the parking lot.

“It was just a loud, echoing sound, like nothing I’ve ever heard before in my entire life,” Radyk said.

Burns said protocol was followed and Ottawa police was called but nothing was found.

“I can’t tell you that there were gunshots happening and I can’t tell you that there wasn’t,” he said. “What I can tell you is something happened there that, within seconds after it happened, our officers walked through and saw no threat to anyone.”

He said witnesses have been interviewed several times, but information is still limited.

“What we’ve been able to come up with is that something happened in the parking lot that created a noise that led people to believe that there were gunshots,” Burns said. “We don’t know what that was.”