The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA)’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre (GSRC) is hosting its annual Pride Week on Jan. 25-29.

Hanky Panky Pride was named after the handkerchief code (a system used by gay men in the 1970s to indicate they wanted to have sex, and show what kind of sex they wanted to have), according to GSRC programming co-ordinator Merissa Taylor-Meissner.

The week will feature a series of events including a keynote speech; performance and writing workshop by Luna Merbruja, a transgender artist and author of colour; a drag show; and a clothing swap pizza party.

Taylor-Meissner said she wants Pride to be as inclusive as possible.

“Pride is open to LGBT students, it’s open to allies, it’s open to community members and all students,” Taylor-Meissner said.

Taylor-Meissner also said Carleton’s Pride has traditionally been in January.

“It’s kind of like a mid-year point. We don’t interfere with Capital Pride in the summer and we don’t interfere with University of Ottawa’s Pride in March. I think it’s been happening for many, many years. It’s definitely happened at least since 2010 but it might’ve been earlier,” she said.

Taylor-Meissner, who is working on the GSRC’s Pride for the second year, said the GSRC means a lot of different things to her.

“I think we’re a safer space. I think we’re a community. A lot of LGBTQ students . . . come to the GSRC to meet like-minded people, to attend events, to talk about things with me or the other co-ordinators if they’re going through a rough spot,” she said.

“We also provide resources like safer sex supplies or pamphlets, and I think this is a safer space, and a lot of students benefit from this place,” Taylor-Meissner added.

Third-year communications student Nilanjana Rhea Ray said she wants to check out several of the events.

“I enjoy going to [Pride events] because I have been since first year. I feel like they’re a lot of fun, and they’re diverse and inclusive,” she said, adding that the events can seem intimidating at first.

“GSRC-related events can get very brash and loud,” she said. “Mostly all who go know each other, and a newbie could possibly feel a bit left out, but the events are very, very diverse and accepting of different identities, abilities, and body types.”

Ray also added that to her, the GSRC means a place where she can be her “very vibrant bi self without feeling judged.”

Taylor-Meissner said she encourages everyone to check out Pride.

“Carleton Pride is like baby Pride. We’re going to have some pretty rad events, but it’s not going to be as overwhelming as Capital Pride, so I think it’s just a really great opportunity to come out,” she said.