Midway through their terms, the Charlatan spoke with student leaders—from the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA), the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA), and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA)—about their campaign promises.

Here’s a breakdown of what GSA promises were kept, what promises were not, and what remains in progress.

Promise: Resist Student Choice Initiative (SCI) and provide affordable education

Yes: The SCI, a recently axed Ontario government provision which allowed university students to opt out of ancillary fees, was “a main priority,” for president Ashley Courchene when he took office, he said.

The GSA promised “to mitigate the effects of the SCI and resist it,” which Courchene said was successfully accomplished through various campaigns, partnerships with on and off campus organizations, as well as a petition which was still collecting signatures right up until the SCI was deemed unlawful. 

Courchene credited the campaigns promoting the services the GSA provides for students for the organization’s 85 per cent opt in rate.

The GSA was also able to negotiate $41,000 from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (FGPA) to go towards grants for students in light of the SCI, he added.

Promise: Create strong relationships with different on-campus departments and organizations

Yes: Courchene said this promise has been kept “in a number of ways,” including strengthening ties with Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) through the GSA vice-president (operations) Shalimar Woods joining a CUPE bargaining team this year, as well as working with Equity and Inclusive Communities and the FGPA. 

Through partnering with different campus organizations, the GSA was able to launch a three-stream peer support program focusing on mental health, sexual assault, and peer-to-peer support. 

Promise: Increase funding for Indigenous and international students 

Ongoing: The GSA has approached this promise by advocating for Indigenous students to have their voices heard in the Carleton Senate.

“What we’re trying to do is create a seat for an Indigenous senator and that hopefully will be taking place through the senate’s governance sub-committee,” Courchene said. “We’re kind of hoping by next September that we’ll have that seat.”

The GSA also created an international student committee where international students can discuss issues they are facing which the GSA brings to university administration or the FGPA. 

“We are constantly advocating for international students and Indigenous students when we meet with the administration,” he added.

Promise: Safe(r) spaces for Black, Indigenous, and people of colour

Yes: The GSA was able to create safe(r) spaces for racialized students during welcome week at the beginning of the fall term when the GSA held closed events for people of colour and a three-part workshop series in November for international students on topics such as workers’ rights, according to Courchene.

“There’s been an incredible effort to include Black, Indigenous, and people of colour,” he said.  “We want to keep it balanced and have open and general events for everybody, but then I think we’ve also been successful in keeping that balance for BIPOC people and creating spaces for them.”

“Building those things are always ongoing, but I think we’ve done what we’ve set out to do,” he added.

Promise: International students’ TAships and high tuition costs

Ongoing: While the GSA provides academic services for international students such as setting up one-on-one meetings through counsel for academic guidance and establishing the graduate academic caucus to help provide students with co-op opportunities. 

However, helping international students specifically with their high tuition costs has not been completed this year.

Promise: Co-op programs in departments 

Yes: Co-op programs have been introduced in the sustainable energy master’s of engineering and master’s of arts in migration and diaspora studies programs at Carleton due to the GSA’s work.

“We are still working in establishing more co-ops in more departments,” he said.

Courchene added he has high hopes as the university administration has been receptive to the addition of experiential learning. 

Promise: Better transportation for students

Ongoing: The GSA acknowledged students face issues with their commutes to university due to OC Transpo during their campaigning and subsequently made a priority of lobbying for better transportation methods specifically for students.

“We’re continuing lobbying OC Transpo for better bus and train routes, so we’re in contact with local city councillors,” he said. “I’d like to say that it got more articulated buses for the route seven.”

Like CUSA, the GSA is also advocating for a summer U-Pass to be accessible for students who are enrolled at Carleton but are in between semesters. 

“Whether that is an actual U-Pass or increased access to the city’s EquiPass, that still needs to be determined,” he added.

This article focuses on major campaign promises which impact the most students, as chosen by the editors at the Charlatan.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article stated the campaign promise “Co-op programs in departments” was “Ongoing”. The promise has been changed to “Yes” in order to reflect that although more can be done, the campaign promise has been fulfilled. The Charlatan regrets the error.

Featured image from file.