Photo by Jolson Lim

The Carleton Ravens football team fell to the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks by a score of 17-16 during a rainy day at MNP Park as part of the Ravens’ homecoming game.

After the game, Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah said turnovers were one of the factors in the Ravens’ loss.

“You can’t win games when you turn the ball over as much as we did,” he said. “It’s a short season, we have no choice to move on, we will review the film and bounce back for next week.”

Late in the opening quarter, Ravens quarterback Jesse Mills threw an interception at Laurier’s eight-yard line, though the Ravens were able to force a safety on the following play and gain a two point lead.

In the second quarter, Ravens kicker Michael Domagala added a field goal, then the Ravens defence forced another safety to stretch the lead to seven.

Mills threw another interception late in the quarter that was returned for a 54-yard touchdown by the Golden Hawks to tie the game up heading into halftime.

The Ravens replied with a touchdown pass in the first drive of the third quarter to restore the seven-point lead.

The eight play 76-yard drive was capped off by a 13-yard touchdown pass from Mills to Kyle VanWynsberghe.

The Ravens defence continued to pressure the Golden Hawks, and forced them to take their third safety of the afternoon.

Before the third quarter wrapped up, the Golden Hawks put together a 90-yard drive, highlighted by a one yard touchdown run to pull within two points before the end of the quarter.

Midway through the final quarter, the Golden Hawks forced a fumble on the Ravens 10-yard line that resulted a field goal and put Laurier up by a score of 17-16.

The Ravens were unable to follow up with any points of their own, and ultimately lost by a single point.

The Ravens’ top offensive threats struggled throughout the contest. Mills threw 19 completions on 36 attempts, and only one touchdown pass while throwing three interceptions.

Meanwhile, Ravens wide receiver Nate Behar was contained to 61 receiving yards—his lowest single game total of the season.

“We didn’t play well enough, we didn’t finish when we had to,” Behar said. “We let them outlast us, we knew it was going to be a big grind and they outlasted us.”