The Carleton men’s soccer team saw their perfect start to the season end in Kingston Sept. 16, as they lost to the Queen’s University Golden Gaels by a score of 4-0.

“We actually didn’t start the game too badly, but as the game went on we just lost our footing,” Ravens assistant coach Kwesi Loney said. “We were settled for the first ten minutes or so, but I think giving up that first goal made us rattled and we lost our momentum.”

The Gaels got off to a strong start with a goal in the 14th minute and they controlled the game from then on, adding two more goals racing to a 3-0 lead before halftime. Another goal midway through the second half made it a 4-0 final.

Loney said knowing the importance of the game could have played a factor in the loss, as both sides were undefeated going into the battle.

“We didn’t really step up to the level of pace in the game, since it was for first place in our division,” he said. “They were the better team out there that day.”

It was also the first road game of the Ravens regular season, and Loney said the atmosphere made it a difficult place to play.

“The first weekend road trip is always difficult, but as a player you have to learn to play away as well as at home by adjusting your routine,” he said. “It was a tough loss on all fronts, but we’ll learn from this weekend and move forward.”

The loss ended the Ravens’ perfect 4-0 start to the season, as well as an unbeaten pre-season record, but the team is still sitting in second place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Division.

Loney said the team has to re-group from the loss for tougher tasks ahead.

“We had a really strong pre-season and we kept it up to start the regular season, so we can’t hang our heads after one loss,” he said. “Now that we’re into the season more, teams will obviously get to know each other a little bit better. Games will get harder as the season goes along and we have to be ready for that challenge.”

The Ravens will have chances to improve their road record with games at Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) and Trent University before their much-anticipated rematch against Queen’s at home on Sept. 26.

Loney said it was very important for the players to learn that “the league won’t come easy” to them, especially now heading into a tough stretch in their season with six of their next seven games coming on the road.

“We got off on the right foot with the four straight wins, but now we’ve got to make sure we don’t get complacent,” he said. “We should always look to develop and grow as a team, improve on areas that need work, and hopefully we can build on those going into our next few games.”