At the Algonquin Commons Theatre on Nov. 14, Sophia Amoruso sat down to talk confidence, Girlboss media, fashion and nailing a job interview. Hosted by Courtney Symons of Shopify, the sold-out show was filled with excited audience members, some holding copies of Amoruso’s biography, #GirlBoss.

Amoruso’s clothing company, Nastygal was a success until last year when she came across hard times. Since filing for bankruptcy a year ago, Amoruso has founded Girl Boss media, a website built to empower women to redefine success on their own terms.

Having a successful empire doesn’t come without having confidence in yourself, but Amoruso said it’s something she’s struggled with.

“It’s natural not to feel confident all the time,” she said.  One thing that makes Amoruso feel more confident is “getting dressed with intention.”

Amoruso said it’s about putting your best foot forward to make you feel ready for whatever is next.

“It could just be a shade [of] lipstick, or it could be shaving your legs or not shaving your legs,” she said.

Symons and Amoruso talked about the importance of equality in the workplace.

“Women aren’t valuing themselves the way men do because they’re not comfortable talking about money,” Amoruso said.

“If you’re comfortable, you’re not growing” Amoruso said. One way that Amoruso keeps up with changing technology is staying in a ‘“beginner’s mentality,’” and not being afraid to change,” she said. “If you’re not taking risks, you’re not going to do anything great.”

The pair touched on resiliency after encountering failure. For Amoruso, overcoming failure meant putting it into perspective.

“In the grand scheme of things with everything going on in the world, we’re all fortunate,” she said. “Sometimes it’s easier to just keep going than it is to just stop”

As for “hustling hard,” Amoruso said it’s about asking for things 10 times, talking with conviction and sometimes, working seven days a week.

She added it starts with your interview, and said that “being engaged and understanding the company” will help you nail the interview. Amoruso also advised attendees to always bring a printed resume on nice paper and to write a follow-up email.

Amoruso also shared her tips for thrift shopping.

“Fur rots, so look under the fur,” she said. “Check pockets for stuff people may have left in them, look through every clothing rack and everything is negotiable.”

Lastly, loiter.

“If you wait long enough, they bring out new clothes,” she added.

So, what’s next for Girlboss media? Amoruso reveals the company is working on more podcasts, a Girlboss Rally in March and another book.

Symons finished the night by asking Amoruso what women can do today to become a girl boss. “Start with being grateful with what you have,” Amoruso said, “going in the direction of people who aren’t sucking your energy and choosing the things you’re capable of doing.”