Making the transition to university is exciting, fun and also a little challenging. In your first few days at Carleton, you’ll have the chance to make new friends, participate in fun activities and get your bearings at your new school. If you have an accessibility issue, getting around Carleton should be the last thing you have to worry about! Carleton’s campus is very accessible, but these helpful tips and pointers will get you on the right track fast. You’ll be able to focus on the frosh experience, and not worry about how to get around campus.

Don’t be shy! Your frosh facilitators are there to help you enjoy your first week at Carleton, so don’t be shy to ask questions. Dean Mellway is a disabilities co-ordinator at the Paul Menton Centre. “[Your facilitators] will be very approachable and supportive, so don’t be shy about identifying to your facilitators what your needs are,” he said. “Carleton has been doing orientation for a lot of years now and we’re very sensitive to the fact that we have a large population of students with disabilities.”

Plan your trip from the University Centre. At the heart of Carleton’s campus is the University Centre. “The University Centre elevator was definitely the most convenient spot to start out from. From the atrium, you can get almost anywhere!” said Kayla Isabelle, a third-year communications student who spent several months in a wheelchair after ankle surgery. However, Mellway cautions that “probably the worst [entrance] is the one into the Unicentre of the bookstore, just because it’s not designed well. You’re going against the flow of traffic, really.” He recommends using the other two entrances on the first floor, around the side of the building.

Look for bathrooms with automatic door openers. Some older buildings at Carleton weren’t built to today’s accessibility standards. “Don’t even try to use the bathroom by Roosters!” warns Isabelle. “The second floor of Tory building has the widest doors, and is the easiest to get around in.” Though Isabelle says that bathrooms can be tricky to navigate, she advises to look for bathrooms with automatic door openers. “Chances are, those spots are the most accessible and have more room inside.” Budget extra time when going to the library. The library is under construction, which can lead to detours and a hassle getting around. “With all of the construction, getting around can be a little hectic, especially with the older elevators. Make sure to get a key from the desk to make getting around as easy as possible,” Isabelle said.

Use the tunnels. Every building at Carleton is connected by a web of underground tunnels, which makes getting around campus much easier. “The tunnels are amazing, especially in the winter when wheeling through the snow is definitely not ideal,” Isabelle said. But both Isabelle and Mellway warn about some steep areas. “There are a couple of spots in the tunnels where the ramp is pretty steep. So if you’re in a manual chair and you’re coming from Residence to the Unicentre, there are two spots at the end of that trip that are challenging,” Mellway said. Isabelle agrees. “They can get really steep, so grab a friend if you can to help you control your speed!”

The newer the building, the more accessible. If you’re lucky enough to have class in a new building, you’ll likely have an easier trip. “Usually, the newer the building, the better the situation,” Mellway said. “We do have accessible entrances in every building and accessible washrooms in every building. Not on every floor of every building, but certainly every building.”

Take advantage of Para-Transpo. OC Transpo offers a Para-Transpo service which will pick you up and drop you off at any location. “The wait times may be a little lengthy, but their services can be very handy,” said Isabelle. However, she says that regular busses are also very accessible. Most are equipped with ramps and have priority seating, so you can easily get on and are guaranteed a space to sit. “Just make sure you have a good locking system on your wheelchair breaks! With all of the starting and stopping, I’ve run over quite a few people’s toes,” Isabelle cautions.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Carleton offers numerous resources and support for students with disabilities. If you’re struggling or have a specific need, you can contact the Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities. The Carleton Disability Awareness Center is another great resource that can help you get involved on campus. As university students, Mellway believes that students with disabilities are old enough to help themselves. “I just think it’s critical for students to advocate on their own behalf. It’s not going to be done for them, they have to step up and request the support.”