The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team suffered their third loss of the season to city rivals, the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees, during the quarterfinals of the Critelli Cup Championship on Feb. 22. 

Despite the elimination, the Ravens will still be participating in the 2020 U Sports Final 8 Championships. Both schools have joint responsibility of hosting the national tournament but Carleton officially holds the host spot. 

The No. 2 ranked Gee-Gees however, had everything on the line and need to reach the playoff final to guarantee themselves a spot at nationals. Their 57-48 victory over the Ravens put them one step closer. 

The Ravens were once again without senior Alyssa Cerino, who was sidelined due to illness and had to rely on the extent of their rookie talent to challenge, and potentially knock-out, their rivals. 

Strong performances from Kali Pocrnic (37 minutes, nine points) and Tatyanna Burke (26 minutes, 10 points) helped keep the game close, but in the end it wasn’t enough. 

Both teams came out strong in the first quarter, challenging each other in and around the key. 

The Gee-Gees relied on their strong height advantage thanks to Brigitte Lefebvre-Okankwu and Angela Ribarich causing rebounding problems for their opponents. 

After the first, the hosts led 16-11. 

“I wouldn’t concede the size giving out, because you can still box people out. I thought they just kept on pressing, pressing, pressing, and they broke [us] down. Right? As simple as that,” said head coach Brian Cheng.

“We kept up with them … and then at some point they got to our breaking point. We’ve got to show up … and extend the breaking point. We can’t break in these kinds of games.”

Carleton’s Emma Huff attempts to score a basket. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Carleton was the first team to get on the board in the second quarter, but Ottawa’s strategic positioning and intricate patterns helped them maintain the lead. 

Eventually, the Ravens started clawing their way back into the game. Emma Kiesekamp tied it up at 18-18 and a jump shot from Madison Reid made it 20-18. 

The game continued to be a back and forth affair. At halftime, Carleton held a slim 26-24 lead. 

Coming out of the locker rooms, both teams had an added touch of energy on the court, but neither side could figure out how to pull away. 

The strength of Ottawa’s shape and routine patterns continued to be their strength, while Carleton’s grit and determination kept them in the game. 

Energy from Marlee Ball, Pocrnic, Burke and Reid, who had a team-high 11 points, particularly helped.

Ottawa was leading 38-32 until the last two-and-a-half minutes of the third when Ball put up a three pointer and Burke sunk two shots to help Carleton re-grab the lead. 

Ravens rookie Kali Pocrnic had the most time on the court for the Ravens, resting for only three minutes. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Pocrnic’s leadership also helped the Ravens in their big push and Cheng spoke encouragingly on the youngster’s performance after the game. 

“For a rookie to play like that she’s playing beyond her years. She’s still making some mistakes but she’s good now and she’s going to be very good moving forward,” he said. 

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Gee-Gees spot at nationals was on the line so they turned up the heat. With less than five minutes left in the game, Ottawa turned it around to 49-41.

Brooklynn McAlear-Fanus in particular was shooting hot and linked up with Ribarich down the stretch to bring it home for the hosts. The two players combined for 31 points. 

The 57-48 win means the Gee-Gees move on to continue their quest for the OUA and U Sport titles.

Carleton will now have a two week break before they return to the court. Everything in that time frame will focus on getting ready, according to Cheng. 

“Our practices have to be very sharp, have to be very effective, and have to be very physical,” he said. 

“We gotta get after it. So, hopefully if we do our job in practice as coaches and players then the game will get easier.”

U Sports Nationals will run the weekend of March 5 to 8.

Feature image by Tim Austen.