Photos by Jesse Winter.

The Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship is set to be a rematch from last year, after the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees defeated the Ryerson Rams 84-75 at Mattamy Athletic Centre in the semifinals.

The atmosphere was buzzing in the packed stadium as hundreds of Rams fans cheered on their home team, but it was the Gee-Gees who took an early lead on the Rams 11-5 halfway through the first.

Ryerson fought their way back into the game and the teams continued to trade baskets throughout the frame. The first quarter found the Gee-Gees leading the Rams 25-22.

The Rams began to dominate in the second quarter—out-rebounding, out-shooting, and outplaying overall. They took the lead three minutes into the quarter and held on to it as the Gee-Gees struggled to score.

“We were struggling on offence in the first half and Ryerson is very athletic, and they have huge transition numbers,” Gee-Gee forward Vikas Gill said.

OttawaU v Ryerson-11Juwon Grannum hit a big three to give the Rams an eight-point lead.

The Gee-Gees failed to score in the final two minutes of play for the half, finding themselves trailing 45-36.

They had a stronger start to the second half, bringing the game within six.

Gill came up huge for the Gee-Gees, hitting multiple threes to take the lead. After an unsuccessful game last week against the Rams, Gill found his rhythm.

“I just stuck with it. I guess shooters keep shooting even when they miss,” he said. “Our team needed a lift, so I took some risky shots and I just felt it go in so I kept shooting.”

Gee-Gees head coach James Derouin, who was awarded CIS coach of the year for coaching the Gee-Gees to an 18-1 record during the regular season, said Gill was doing exactly what he had planned.

“I told the guys we’re going to go down firing threes. That is how we play,” Derouin said. “Vik is a kid who listens and does what he’s told, he went out there and fired some threes.”

The Gee-Gees began to extend their lead towards the end of the quarter.

The Rams managed to find some production but were still trailing 61-57 at the end of the third.

The fourth quarter was anyone’s game as the Rams’ Jean-Victor Mukama made it a one-point game after knocking down a deep three.

OttawaU v Ryerson-7Rams guard Adika Peter-McNielly tied the game up with a three-pointer in the final four minutes of play, but it was short-lived as Caleb Agada stole the lead back for the Gee-Gees with a free throw.

A missed dunk by Ryerson sealed the Rams’ fate as the Gee-Gees extended their lead to win the game 84-75.

Rams head coach Roy Rana explained it’s hard to not be disappointed, but that they will still compete for the bronze medal game March 15 at 11:30 a.m.

“We played for gold, I’m not going to lie and say well be ready, but once the ball is tossed up instinct will take over,” Rana said.

Despite having some trouble shooting, Johnny Berhanemeskel once again led the Gee-Gees with 20 points, while Gill contributed 18 and won player of the game.

Peter-McNeilly led the Rams with 17 points. A big contribution to the win was the Gee-Gees Mehdi Tihani and Agada’s defence against Rams star guard Jahmal Jones, who managed to hold him to just two points.

“Caleb and Mehdi, they deserve all the credit in the world,” Gill said. “Our game is to try and not let them get everyone else involved, and I can’t thank anyone else other than those two guys and the coaches’ gameplan.”

Rana said even though his star player may have struggled, they still would not have made it this far without Jones.

Derouin on the other hand now turns to the gold medal game.

“We’re prepared for this situation. We’re prepared to play Carleton. We’re prepared to make the finals. We’re ready to go,” Derouin said.

Gill also said his team is ready for the Ravens, but that he has a mix of emotions toward the game.

“It’s fun and not fun, its mixed emotions,” he said. “They’re very talented and very good, we’re excited. They beat us last year in the championship game, so to get a second chance at that.”

The battle of Ottawa will begin at 3 p.m. on March 15.