Diablo 3
Blizzard Entertainment
Jason Quinn

After almost 12 years since the release of Diablo 2, including  three complete artistic revisions and several layoffs,  Blizzard has finally released Diablo 3.

First impressions are everything. As you begin, it is immediately apparent that this is a whole new game. Graphics are vastly improved with a crisp and detailed environment as well as an overhauled user interface. Character development has been changed to automatically increase points upon leveling (much like World of Warcraft) and encourages experimentation of play styles.

Player classes have also been updated, and only the barbarian from Diablo 2 returns. New additions include the witch doctor, monk, wizard, and demon hunter. The witch doctor is the only class to feature the traditional mana as its resource. Others include hatred, holy power and arcane energy, and all have uses tailored to their respective classes.

Despite having a modern overhaul Diablo 3 does nothing in the way of innovation. The game’s semi-isometric top view is very constrictive and archaic compared to today’s modern game standards.

I was expecting something a little bit more impressive technically. However, the cinematics are absolutely beautiful. Additionally, in true Blizzard fashion, the game requires a constant Internet connection. Yes, if you have slow Internet, you’ll find it frustrating to play in single player. There have been many reports of hacked accounts for items and gold, many of which just played single player. This is truly a step back and frankly an unacceptable abuse of power.

Needless to say, the game is a blast to play. If you are thorough and love to explore, gameplay should clock in at just over 20 hours the first time around. Quests are simple and ease of play has improved with a permanent town portal and automatic item identification. The ability to craft your own weapons is a fun time-sink that can be quite rewarding as each item is random. The new character stat development means you can experiment with how you play your character. If you grow tired of laying waste with a 2-handed weapon, you can switch it up with a sword and board configuration without having to worry about misplaced stats.

In later acts, however, I feel that content was overextended with unnecessarily long dungeons. After a while you grow tired of the continuous gear grind. The fourth act is particularly short and feels somewhat rushed. The fight with Diablo himself was far too easy for how powerful he is supposed to be (those who have played know what I mean) and I found him one of the easiest aside from the first boss.

This aside, while the game is nothing new or impressive, it provides a true Diablo hack-and-slash experience that is super fun to play with friends or solo.