Carleton first-years might be able to stand on the same stage with bands such as the Great Big Sea in the photo (File photo)

Students starting their first year at Carleton this fall may feel a little more inclined to purchase an orientation week package when they discover Carleton has teamed up with Ottawa Folk Festival.

On Sept 8, incoming Carleton first-years will gain entry to the festival, which includes over 20 performances with bands like Yukon Blonde and Great Big Sea, said a fall orientation coordinator with the Student Experience Office (SEO), Grace Valentine.

The decision to work with Ottawa Folk Festival as a part of Fall Orientation Week was made by the SEO in conjunction with the Carleton Undergraduate Students’ Association (CUSA), vice-president (student life) Tomisin Olawale said via email.

Adding the additional concerts will help “open [students] eyes to some of the things Carleton and CUSA can do for them, and also what the city has to offer,” Olawale said.

Valentine echoed these sentiments.

“[The] orientation program seeks to benefit the incoming students and create the best first year experience possible, and by collaborating with the Ottawa Folk Festival we are able to add value to our Fall Orientation programming,” Valentine said.

Even with the new collaboration, Valentine assured students that traditional aspects of Carleton orientation week, such as the yearly outdoor concert, will remain.

“We are not changing the programming, [just] simply adding to [it],” she said.

In addition to attracting a larger group of students to register for orientation week, Valentine thinks the collaboration will encourage greater student involvement overall.

“This allows the students to better foster relationships with each other through additional activities and programming,” she said.

According to the Ottawa Folk Festival website, the festival was first established to showcase Canada’s folk traditions through music, dance, storytelling and crafts, was first introduced in 1994. The festival is a not-for-profit, volunteer organization that plays host to some of the world’s best folk artists.