CUSERT was on hand to respond to calls during Orientation Week. (Photo illustration by Arjun Birdi)

Carleton frosh-goers this year were generally well-behaved during Orientation Week.

While events at other campuses have taken a turn for the worse, with inappropriate cheers and more, Allan Burns, director of university safety, said there were no big incidents putting a damper on frosh.

”Nothing jumped out as significant compared to past years,” he said.

University safety community liaison officer Mark Hargreaves said they had a similar amount of calls this year as in the past.

“This orientation week was along the same line as orientation weeks in the past,” he said. “There were no major incidents to report and overall it was safe for students.”

Burns said security responds to calls from locked doors to alcohol poisoning.

From Sept. 1-7, calls placed to security services were up 63 from last year, while reported incidents went down by 45, according to Burns.

He said three public offence notices were issued to underage students who were caught drinking.

Five students were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning, he said, down from nine last year.

The Carleton University Student Emergency Response Team (CUSERT) was also on hand to respond to calls during Orientation Week.

According to manager Jordan Kafka, CUSERT was present at all orientation events to respond to incidences with campus safety when needed.

“Most of our recorded calls during Frosh Week did not occur at Frosh events, and the most common call was an injury involving bleeding, scrapes or bumps,” Kafka said via email.

“During Frosh Week, we had 35 recorded calls, on average 4-5 calls a day. Typically, statistics show we average two calls a day throughout the year,” Kafka said.

Their coverage has resulted in 158.5 hours for Orientation Week events and 372 hours of their 24/7 coverage throughout the week.

“Overall it was a very safe and uneventful week, but also fun for the students,” Burns said.