Whether it’s a quick snack, or something to keep you going during late nights, your first-year fridge has you covered.

But what should you keep in your fridge? It might sound like a great idea to have a fridge stocked full of beer, but here are some essentials you might miss if your mini-fridge becomes a permanent cooler.

First off, non-alcoholic beverages are also important.

Make sure there’s plenty of juice, water (a Brita filter ensures a limitless supply of H2O), energy drinks for late-night study sessions, and milk for cereal.

Yogurt, cheese, and dips make for great snacks but they are relatively perishable so be sure to pay attention to expiry dates.

It’s also important to keep an eye on the fridge’s temperature — settings ideal for a very cold beverage may also result in ice-ridden vegetables and other goods.

Fruit is always a good idea, plus as an added bonus you can always grab a free piece on your way out of the Residence Commons cafeteria, if you have a meal plan. Luncheon meat is nice for a quick sandwich between classes, and a few condiments go a long way.

For those who have a freezer (the Coldex 3 cubic foot fridge doesn’t have one), a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream will satiate those pent-up cravings, and some frozen microwavable foods like pizza pops or pogos are great for lazy days when you don’t feel like going out for food .
So, there you have it.

Try to keep your fridge stocked with goodies, check periodically to see if they go bad, clean here and there, and you’re off to a beautiful start.