The Carleton Ravens football team faced off against fourth-ranked McMaster University Marauders on Sept. 13 in Hamilton at Ron Joyce Stadium.

This was the second game for the Ravens after they earned the team’s first win against the Waterloo Warriors two weeks ago.

This game was against a tougher opponent which was noticeable in the first half of the game, according to Ravens receiver Dexter Brown.

“The first half was a little slow,” he said.

The Marauders gave the Ravens some surprises by using different plays on defense than anticipated.

“They did have some surprises, doing plays they normally wouldn’t,” Ravens offensive co-ordinator Jean-Philippe Asselin said.

Ravens quarterback Nick Gorgichuk, who came in relief of Jesse Mills in the first half, agreed with his offensive co-ordinator.

“[McMaster] has been a top tier defense for a long time, it’s hard for a young team to pick up quickly,” Gorgichuk said.

The Ravens’ defence managed to keep them in the game only allowing one touchdown in that first half, but they went into halftime down 17-3.

“We were in the locker room and we told each other they’re not beating us, we’re beating ourselves. If we start executing we can deal with anyone in the OUA [Ontario University Athletics],” Gorgichuk said.

Brown added that the coaches were able to get the team fired up during halftime.

“Our coaches were able to keep us motivated,” he said. “We knew we could keep up with them the whole game, and this was where it showed.”

The Ravens responded to the Marauders’ attack with two touchdowns from Nathaniel Behar and another by Dexter Brown in the fourth quarter, bringing them within six points.

“I knew our coaches were going to make the adjustments, and I knew we were going to start putting points up,” Gorgichuk said.

The Ravens were about to take the lead deep in enemy territory when Gorgichuk was intercepted on the goal line. Marauders running back Wayne Moore scored two unanswered touchdowns from the Marauders in the last three minutes to play, leaving the final score 37-17.

Asselin said while his team played well, their inexperience once again showed late in the game.

“We need to keep growing as an offense, there were some good plays with receivers making good catches but we’re still a young team,” he said.

Gorgichuk completed 12 passes for 188 yards with two touchdowns on the day.

“Nick played well, he did throw two interceptions but he got some points on the board,” Asselin said.

After the impressive battle for the Ravens, Asselin said he thought they put fear into the more experienced Marauders team.

“I want to be happy for the guys, but many see this as a win for us because we gave them a scare. We need to remember that the goal is for us is to win games,” he said.

The Ravens face off against crosstown rival the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sept. 20 for the much-anticipated Panda Game at TD Place.