From Nov. 28-30, Carleton Musical Theatre Society (CMTS) will be putting on [title of show] at Live! on Elgin. Doors will open at 7 p.m. for a 90 minute runtime. 

[title of show] tells the story of two young men, Jeff and Hunter, who live in New York City and decide to write a play to submit to a local theatre festival. But they only have three weeks to write it. 

The best the zany pair can do is enlist the help of their friends Heidi and Susan, and write about what they know. In the words of director Megan Douglas, [title of show] is “about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical,” which may sound a little confusing, but that’s the best part. 

The show is meant to be something that is “very meta, breaks the fourth wall and set in a lot of realism,” said Douglas.

Actor and first-year global and international studies student Rorey Brown, who plays Susan says, “this show is not a normal musical.”

Douglas explains that the rationale behind choosing this show was to perform something that will speak to the student experience and be relevant to student life. 

She also describes the overall theme as having “the tools to be and defeat anything that you want to.” 

The show is also about how it is “so beautiful to be a part of a bigger picture and that’s the whole idea,” said Tally Vivarais, who plays Heidi. Brown adds that a message [title of show] strives to get across is “don’t give up on your dreams.”

Rorey Brown as Susan in Carleton Musical Theatre Society’s production of [title of show]. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
The cast and crew of this show is made up of Carleton students and alumni, with only one exception. Actor Colin Campbell, who plays Hunter, is an alumnus of The Audio Recording Academy (TARA), a private college in Ottawa. 

This is every cast member’s first show with CMTS, but you would never guess. Walking into their rehearsal space feels like walking into a family dinner, and you can feel the connection the actors have with one another. 

Campbell said everyone involved is welcoming and supportive. 

“These guys are just short of professional, the only thing separating them from professionals and amateurs is they’re not getting paid,” Campbell said.

Their closeness comes across in the most beautiful way, and as Anne Biason, who plays Jeff, says, “we’ve worked really hard on this and I think it shows. And I’m really proud.” 

[title of show] is a “really funny, really smart show that is definitely worth coming out to see because you will laugh,” in the words of stage manager Emily Mallet.

The set of the show consists only of four chairs and a piano. Douglas pointed out that it’s interesting to “make a lot out of so little.” 

The show’s musical director and Carleton alumnus Galen Cussion also plays a role in the show. He remains onstage playing the keyboard and is referred to as ‘Larry the piano guy’ by the actors. He even has a few “quips.” 

Cussion enjoys being a part of the show and explains how during “the performance part, I’m kind of steering the ship,” and that doing “more than just playing the piano,” adds to the experience. 

As Campbell points out, at its core, [title of show] is about “friends trying to enjoy the little bits of life, in a really mundane life,” and how the relationships portrayed onstage are those of a “chosen family” that strays away from traditional Broadway romances. 

“This show deconstructs a lot [of] the stereotypes that a lot of other Broadway shows prey off of,” added Campbell.

Feature image by Spencer Colby.